From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Where's the conversation?

From newsservice <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:13:01 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story may be seen here: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07515.htm

07515 August 20, 2007

Where's the conversation?

A message to the PC(USA) from the General Assembly moderator

by the Rev. Joan S. Gray Moderator, 217th General Assembly Distributed by Office of the General Assembly Communications

ATLANTA - Over the last thirteen months, I have had the privilege of traveling our country and meeting Presbyterians in many states. All in all, I can testify that our small part of the body of Christ is moving forward in serving God at home and abroad.

There is one thing, however, that I had hoped to find as I traveled but, by and large, have not.

The Task Force on Peace, Unity, and Purity of the Church presented seven recommendations to the 217th General Assembly last summer. Recommendation number two commends to the church-at-large the process the task force used to conduct its work. This process involves bringing together a group of people with different theological views and engaging in a committed program of worship, study, honest conversation, and prayer.

In essence, this is a process of exploring how to be the church with those who disagree with us.

My disappointment is that I have not found many presbyteries or churches where groups are meeting to do this kind of work. In fact, the attitude generally seems to be, "What good does it do? It won't solve our issues."

The way we live together as Christians is part of our witness to the watching world. It is a powerful witness to God's power when the Holy Spirit enables human beings to come together in love in spite of their differences.

One of most spiritually enriching experiences of my life was participating in a common-ground group for four years with fellow members of my presbytery who had greatly differing opinions on denominational issues. When this group came to an end, I am sure that no one had fundamentally changed his or her position on controversial issues. What had changed, though, was our relationship. Respect and Christian affection had replaced suspicion and wariness. Over time, the change in this small group of people "leaked out" to change the tenor of our presbytery for the better.

I would challenge every presbytery to start such groups among the clergy and educators. I would challenge churches to start such groups within their membership or with other congregations. If we do this, by God's grace, someday it might be said of us as it was of our ancestors in the faith: "See these Christians, how they love each other."