From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Gathers for 2007 Worship Jubilee

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:38:32 -0500

Title: ELCA Gathers for 2007 Worship Jubilee ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 20, 2007

ELCA Gathers for 2007 Worship Jubilee 07-145-LL*

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) held its second Worship Jubilee Aug. 3-6 here at Navy Pier. The event preceded the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly here Aug. 6-11.

The event celebrated the publication of "Evangelical Lutheran Worship" and the future of renewing worship under the theme, "Thanks Be to God." Evangelical Lutheran Worship is a new primary worship resource developed by the ELCA and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, released Oct. 3, 2006.

"My hope for the event is to (express) a deep sense of gratitude for the many people who worked to bring about Evangelical Lutheran Worship and to realize that the work continues," said the Rev. Michael L. Burk, executive, ELCA Worship and Liturgical Resources.

On Aug. 4, the Rev. Gladys G. Moore and the Rev. Clayton J. Schmit delivered presentations on the "sending" words that Lutherans recite at the conclusion of worship services.

In her presentation, Moore reflected on what "Lutheran Christians mean when we say, 'Go in peace, and share the good news.'" Moore is dean of religious and spiritual life, and director of diversity and inclusion at Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Mass.

"The sending sentence reminds people about why they came to church -- to go in peace and do something, go into the world. We are blessed, and we are to be a blessing," she said. "Go and be present in the world as ambassadors of hope and beacons of light."

Schmit, associate professor of preaching, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, Calif., focused his presentation on the concentration between worship and mission. "We here in North America are in a mission field," said Schmit. "Worship is mission . it is both action and adoration. Our ministry must have a mission thrust because we are in a new mission age."

About 700 people involved in worship and music from the across the church gathered for the event.

The Rev. Dayle M. Askey, Creator Lutheran Church, Clackamas, Ore., said, "Our overall experience with Evangelical Lutheran Worship has been good, and we appreciate that most of the music we've used in worship is now contained in one comprehensive resource. Most of the (resources) we've used in worship are now in Evangelical Lutheran Worship, and we like it," Askey said, adding that the congregation uses electronic resources during worship, such as screen projections at the altar to feature hymns.

The Rev. Steven N. Ronningen, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, Rochester, Minn., attended Worship Jubilee "to learn more about Evangelical Lutheran Worship. As a mission developer, I haven't seen the application of the worship resource, but I'm interested in learning more about its contemporary music and liturgy, and its evangelism application."

Ronningen said Gloria Dei is starting a second worship site called Glory to God. Worship at Glory to God takes place at the Rochester Athletic Club, and on Wednesday evenings, "we worship outdoors on land we've purchased that will be the site of our new church" building," he said. "We are exploring different models of worship, so I'm here to learn. I'm also interested in hospitality, making people feel welcome to the church."

---

Information about Worship Jubilee 2007 is at

http://www.ELCA.org/worship/jubilee on the ELCA Web site.

* Lauren A. Lamb is a senior public relations and speech communication major at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. This summer she was an intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog