From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Newslink

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:54:15 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink August 21, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - COLOMBIA: Abducted priest found 'disoriented and heavily drugged' * DIOCESAN DIGEST - WESTERN NEW YORK: Diocese plans open house * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Lambeth Palace Library catalogue joins online research too * WORLD REPORT - SRI LANKA: Faith leaders urge use of religious worship places in AIDS fight * WORLD REPORT - UGANDA: Christians' planned protest against homosexuality cancelled * OPINION - Guest column: Bishop Carpenter and the issue of race

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

COLOMBIA: Abducted priest found 'disoriented and heavily drugged' http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_89242_ENG_HTM.htm

WESTERN NEW YORK: Diocese plans open house

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_89241_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Lambeth Palace Library catalogue joins online research too http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_89251_ENG_HTM.htm

SRI LANKA: Faith leaders urge use of religious worship places in AIDS fight http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_89248_ENG_HTM.htm

UGANDA: Christians' planned protest against homosexuality cancelled http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_89249_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

OPINION

Guest column: Bishop Carpenter and the issue of race

By Judy Wright Mathews

[Episcopal News Service] The article

(http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_88106_ENG_HTM.htm) by the Rev. Doug Carpenter in the July 2007 issue of Episcopal Life brought forth strong memories to many of us who grew up in the Diocese of Alabama. I was especially pleased to see Bishop Carpenter in the less ornate vestments which represent the Episcopal Church to many Episcopalians. I speak here as a cradle Episcopalian, the granddaughter, widow, and sister-in-law of Episcopal clergymen.

Doug Carpenter's facts are not new to me. In contrast, however, a liberal Episcopal priest in another Province IV diocese wrote to me and said he welcomed the article, because it brought new light to the race issue in the Diocese of Alabama: "...Bp. Carpenter's name was addressed first in Dr. King's letter, which was also addressed to his coadjutor, George M. Murray. Many undoubtedly would have assumed he must have been a leading clerical segregationist."

This friend asked me to tell him what I remember about Bishop Carpenter. When I did, he suggested I share my memories.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_89238_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm