From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Charlie Schwartz, former president of Lutheran Men in Mission, dies

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:24:10 -0500

ELCA News Blog

August 22, 2007

Charlie Schwartz, former president of Lutheran Men in Mission, dies

by Frank Imhoff, ELCA News Service

Charles R. Schwartz, former president of Lutheran Men in Mission (LMM), the men's ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), died Aug. 10 of liver cancer. He was 72. Zion Lutheran Church, Fredericksburg, Texas, held a memorial service Aug. 13. Schwartz is survived by his wife Geneva and son Ken, both of Fredericksburg.

"The men of the church have lost a great leader. I have lost a great friend. We have laughed together, we have wept together, and we have prayed together," said Doug Haugen, LMM director. "Charlie was probably as well known for craftsmanship in woodworking as he was for the positions he has held with LMM. Thousands of people throughout the United States and other parts of the world are constantly reminded of the love of Charlie's Savior and Lord Jesus Christ as they look at the crosses around their necks," he said.

Schwartz served as LMM secretary from 1992 to 1996 and president from 1996 to 2002. "In addition to his leadership, Charlie's commitment to and enthusiasm for Lutheran Men in Mission was a great inspiration to all of us. He was always encouraging us to dream and think big," said Heber Rast, Cameron, S.C., LMM president. "I always considered Charlie to be a dear friend as well, and he will certainly be missed."

As past president, Schwartz continued to serve LMM as a member of its development council. Texas Lutheran University, Seguin, awarded Schwartz, a 1957 graduate, the TLU Distinguished Church Service Award for "extraordinary service to the church."

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog