From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[CRWRC] Katrina's Forgotten - $1 Million Still Needed

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:43:51 -0700

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - August 29, 2007

Katrina's Forgotten - $1 Million Still Needed

Bill Adams, CRWRC Disaster Response Services Manager, 616-560-2782 or 1-800-848-5818 Beth DeGraff, CRWRC Media Contact U.S., 616-648-7821

GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN: Two years ago today when Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast, the Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (www.crwrc.org), with

many other relief organizations, flew into response delivering emergency supplies, collecting donated goods, repairing homes, and preparing to receive evacuees expected from the debris.

Today, CRWRC has provided nearly $4 million in post-Katrina services involving cleanup, assessments, and construction - and an additional $2 million is committed to ongoing

reconstruction.

In two years, CRWRC has completed 37,913 home visits by 232 Needs Assessment Volunteers in Gulfport and Laurel, Miss., Slidell, Louisiana, and Port Arthur, Texas. Since the day Katrina hit 5,000 volunteers have repaired and restored 2,000 homes and properties along the Gulf. Families, couples, youth and church groups have given anywhere from a week to three months of their time to repair roofs, replace and finish moldy walls and ceilings, replace floors, and rebuild entire houses.

CRWRC volunteers also work with local long-term recovery organizations in the Gulf to complete home reconstruction, and provide leadership training and financial resources. CRWRC volunteers, known as "Green Angels" for their bright green T-shirts, prepare construction estimates, work on developing financial control systems, develop recovery plans and identify unmet needs with local organizations.

CRWRC has requests for another $1 million in additional Katrina reconstruction work that are not yet funded. Katrina's survivors continue to need restoration....

"When Katrina hit the Gulf Coast, it made a turn just South of Hattiesburg," says Macy Craft of Pine Belt Restoration in Laurel, Miss. "Hundreds of elderly, low income, and disabled residents of our five county area were not offered the help that was available to the lower Coastal counties. CRWRC's dedicated volunteers immediately assessed our needs and began to repair homes for hundreds of area residents who had no other options....But we're not done! There are 49 homes that have been approved for repair and are awaiting reconstruction. Plus, 350 more clients have applied but we don't have the resources to help them.

"These elderly, low income, and disabled families need the help that CRWRC has given to others - not only restoring homes, but restoring lives. Many of our clients have renewed pride in their homes, and hope that was fostered by CRWRC volunteers. Every one of them could be living in desperate conditions made worse by every rain. We were forgotten by others but not by CRWRC."

In the next year, CRWRC will continue working in its four reconstruction sites Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, and plans to open a fifth site near New Orleans. CRWRC is seeking financial gifts to continue supporting long-term recovery organizations in the Gulf states in response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Dale Kimball, executive director of Northshore Disaster Recovery (NRDI), in Slidell, Louisiana, says, "CRWRC has been with us from the beginning, providing valuable leadership and expertise. NDRI considers CRWRC one of our most valued assets. Your organization's reputation in Slidell is one of dedication and service. The impact of your work has affected not just those families whose homes you have repaired, but entire neighborhoods. CRWRC's long-term commitment has inspired others continue supporting our recovery efforts, and we are grateful for your example...."

In October, 2007, CRWRC will begin a year-long Home-Building Blitz with plans to build ten new homes in the Katrina area using all volunteer labor.

"We are challenging volunteers to commit to work and fund the construction of a 900-square-foot home for a needy family displaced by Katrina," says Art Opperwall, CRWRC Disaster Response Services (DRS) Group Manager.

A group of churches from Holland, Michigan, was the first to accept a three-week home-building challenge to kick-off the event. Skilled and unskilled volunteers from nearly thirty churches are being organized to build a home in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in partnership with CRWRC-DRS and the Hattiesburg long-term recovery organization in October.

The Home-Building Blitz will focus on rebuilding homes in the five site areas along the Gulf where CRWRC is or will be working to help communities that lack adequate volunteer and financial resources to meet their needs.

For more information about volunteer opportunities in CRWRC-DRS Home-Building Blitz, contact Art Opperwall, group manager, at 1-800-848-5818 or email opperwaa@crcna.org.

For media interview with CRWRC-DRS manager about Hurricane Katrina Response, call Bill Adams at 616-560-2782.

To make a financial donation to CRWRC-DRS, designate your check "Katrina Response" and mail it to CRWRC, 2850 Kalamazoo Ave., S.E., Grand Rapids, Michigan 49560-0600. Call your donation in to 1-800-55-CRWRC, or give online at www.crwrc.org.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /

To learn more about CRWRC, visit www.crwrc.org or call 1-800-55-CRWRC. In <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Canada, call 1-800-730-3490. CRWRC is a Christian, non-profit organization of the Christian Reformed Church in North America providing a ministry of development, relief, and justice education to people in need around the world.

-30-