From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kirkpatrick lauded for leadership at Presbyterian Church (USA)

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:45:29 -0400

World Alliance of Reformed Churches News Release 11 September 2007

Kirkpatrick lauded for leadership as he decides not to seek another term at Presbyterian Church (USA)

Clifton Kirkpatrick was praised as a leader of vision and courage following his announcement that he would not seek a fourth term as stated clerk of the Presbyterian Church (USA). His current term ends in June 2008.

Kirkpatrick made his plans known this week, saying he wanted to spend quality time with his family and devote more energy to his role as president of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC).

Setri Nyomi, general secretary of WARC, said in a 11 September letter to Kirkpatrick that the Reformed family worldwide is grateful for his ministry at the Presbyterian Church (USA), WARC and in the wider ecumenical movement.

"I have experienced you as a person of deep faith, biblical and theological depth of understanding, vision, courage and leadership skills. I have personally been inspired in my ministry by how these values have been combined in you to give expression to your leadership.

"This has been a great gift, not only for the Presbyterian Church (USA), but also for WARC and the ecumenical movement as a whole (including the World Council of Churches and your time on its Central and Executive committees).

"Your years as a member of WARC's Executive Committee, and since 2004 as our president, have been a blessing for the Alliance. Your visionary leadership and pastoral care for those who serve the Alliance continue to move us in our commitment to being God's instruments spiritually for the transformation of the world.

"We thank God for your continuing leadership," Nyomi said.

In his announcement, Kirkpatrick said serving as the stated clerk of the Presbyterian Church (USA) has offered him an opportunity to use his gifts and passion for a church he loves on important issues.

"It has been a tremendous privilege to give voice to the witness of our church to the gospel and to justice and peace in the world, to be a leader in the ecumenical movement, to guide the church (even in our contentions) toward unity in diversity, to uphold our Constitution, and to pioneer in new ways to express old truth as we seek to discern the mind of Christ and develop a polity and a church for the 21st century."

***

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together 75 million Reformed Christians in 214 churches in 107 countries - united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC's secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Contact: John P. Asling Executive Secretary, Communications World Alliance of Reformed Churches 150 Route de Ferney P.O. Box 2100 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland tel. +41.22 791 6243 fax: +41.22 791 6505 web: www.warc.ch

More about WARC : http://www.warc.ch/newsreleases/visibility.doc

WCC ID:

nJoBWU5exi1qWrutF9UPe3zxFO1kvkS1uXQ4WDHV1NjMpf3OQUc2W1yD9KlKiEs