From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[GOAA] FAITHFUL RESPONDING TO ARCHDIOCESAN APPEAL

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:05:43 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA 8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106 Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE September 12, 2007

Contact: Bishop Andonios of Phasiane Department of Philanthropy Tel.: 212.774-0283

FAITHFUL RESPONDING TO ARCHDIOCESAN APPEAL

New York - As a result of the appeal issued by His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios on behalf of the Eparchial Synod of the Holy Archdiocese of America, members of the community have generously responded to the tremendous needs of the victims of the catastrophic fires in Greece. On Monday of this week, His Eminence received a call from one dedicated individual, an Archon and member of both Leadership 100 and Faith Endowment, who informed the Archbishop that he wished to anonymously donate $400,000 to the Greek Fire Relief Fund.

"Time and time again, I have been overwhelmed and deeply moved by the magnanimous generosity of this individual who has always shown himself to be a true Christian steward of the material blessings which he has received from the Almighty. He responds without reservation whenever and wherever a need has arisen and we are especially thankful to our Lord for having blessed our Archdiocese with such a steadfast and faithful communicant,"? reflected the Archbishop.

Contributions have also been coming to the Archdiocese from outside the Greek Orthodox community, from fellow Americans who were moved by the devastation they witnessed in the extensive coverage of the calamity by the international media. The Archdiocese has sponsored a national appeal through an ad featuring a dramatic photo of the statue of Nike which had been threatened by the wildfires in Greece. The appeal which ran in the national issue of the New York Times, USA TODAY, the Chicago Tribune and the LA Times, with a combined circulation of close to 9,000,000, has resulted in a dramatic increase in visitations to the website of the Archdiocese and of online donations to the Greek Fire Relief Fund.