From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[GOAA] Mary Jaharis Makes Million Dollar Gift to Greek Fire Relief Fund

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:24:39 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA 8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106 Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE September 14, 2007

Contact: Bishop Andonios of Phasiane Department of Philanthropy Tel.: 212.774-0283

MAJOR GIFT TO GREEK FIRE RELIEF FUND

ANNOUNCED

New York - His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios today announced a major gift of $1,000,000 to the Greek Fire Relief Fund of the Archdiocese by Mrs. Mary Jaharis. This gift was made in memory of Mrs. Jaharis' parents, Ismene and George Spyros, who were from the Peloponnese area of Greece. While the town from which they came was not affected by the fires, Mrs. Jaharis was very moved and deeply saddened by the loss of lives and destruction left behind by the fires in neighboring towns.

Mrs. Jaharis, in a note she sent to His Eminence informing him of her decision to make this gift, wrote: "When a disaster of this magnitude hits so close to home it has special significance. I could not stop watching the coverage of the fires on TV and while it was painful to watch, I kept hoping and praying that it would all quickly end. My heart goes out to those affected by the disaster especially since most were hardworking farmers and many elderly who spent a lifetime working to earn a living and now all of that has been destroyed by the fires. How sad it must be for them to see the remains of their fire-gutted homes, and to gaze out over the hillside where their olives trees once stood and their sheep grazed, all of it now dust and ashes."?

His Eminence commenting on the gift stated, "We, the members of the Eparchial Synod and the entire Archdiocese, are deeply appreciative to Mrs. Jaharis for her very generous gift to the Greek Fire Relief Fund"?. The Archbishop continued, "Such generosity, of people like Mrs. Jaharis and others, will make it possible for the Church in America to respond in a greater, more meaningful way to the tremendous needs of the people who have been so adversely affected by this tragedy."?

Mrs. Jaharis, along with her husband Michael, is a major benefactor of Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City including sponsor of the Greek and Byzantine Galleries. Mrs. Jaharis is an Honorary Trustee of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and a Director of the American Associates of Saint Catherine's Foundation. The couple, who reside in New York and have two children and five grandchildren, have also generously supported many other charitable and educational institutions as well as philanthropic projects.