From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pakistan floods: CWS and partners rebuilding communities

From "Lesley Crosson" <LCrosson@churchworldservice.org>
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:28:27 -0400

For Immediate Release

Pakistan Floods: CWS and partners rebuilding homes, health and communities

*Photos of Pakistan flooding at http://www.cwspa.org/Picturegallery.html

KARACHI, PAKISTAN, Sept. 14, 2007-- When the storms struck Pakistan in late June 2007, Barkat Aliâs home was washed away completely. âAt that time I was sleeping and gradually about 4 feet of water came into my home. I and my family ran to a safe place and at 9:45 pm my home totally collapsed,â he explained.

Mr. Ali lived in the Kane Pusht village in Balochistan. He worked as a teacher prior to the floods and is the sole provider for his wife and family of five children. Following the disaster, his village lost electricity and was plagued by hot weather, mosquitoes, standing water and unhygienic conditions. Currently, he and his family are living temporarily with relatives.

Like many in the region, Mr. Ali has very few resources to support his family and rebuild the life they once knew. âThere were three rooms and one wash room. Everything in my home was ruined. It is impossible for me to rebuild this house once again without aid and support,â he said.

The Pakistan/Afghanistan office of Church World Service (CWS), which is a member of the global alliance Action by Churches Together (ACT), was among the first humanitarian organizations to immediately respond to the flood situation.

In the first week of July, CWS provided emergency relief to 250 households through the distribution of food packages consisting of wheat, rice, cooking oil, sugar, tea leaves, powdered milk and salt, as well as matches, bath soap and plastic sheets for temporary shelter through support from ACT Rapid Response Fund.

One recipient of emergency support from CWS was Marryam, who lives in the village of Pattani Kahoor. She has been a widow for the last 18 years and lost her entire house to the floods. She is responsible for supporting her son, daughter and five grandchildren and had been earning a living by selling snacks and peanuts throughout her village.

Since the floods, her small business is struggling provide for her family's day-to-day needs. âDue to the shortage, food items are very expensive. Now I am in debt to the broker from whom I purchase goods and the profit is not as good as it was before the flood,â she explained. âBut as a result of this food package, my family can eat for a month at least.â

CWS and Norwegian Church Aid (NCA), are planning to implement a larger post-crisis response for over 20,000 of the most affected households in the three targeted areas of Gadap Town and Thatta district in the Sindh province and the Turbat district in the Balochistan province.

The integrated response plans include water and sanitation, primary healthcare and hygiene promotion, as well as shelter and psychosocial support. ACT members will be focusing their interventions on particularly vulnerable families and people such as widows, children and the elderly who are without food and need assistance.

CWS and NCA both have a long-term presence and history of humanitarian work in Pakistan and have developed long-term relationships with other partners, agencies and affected communities.

For the most up to date information on the ongoing CWS response visit: http://www.cwspa.org/updates.html

This article was written by the Pakistan/Afghanistan communications staff of Church World Service

Media Contacts

Lesley Crosson, (212) 870-2676, lcrosson@churchworldservice.org Jan Dragin, (781) 925-1526, jdragin@gis.net