From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] College news

From newsservice <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:00:26 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story and photos may be seen here: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07586.htm

07586 September 18, 2007

College news

by Evan Silverstein Presbyterian News Service

WAYNESBURG, PA - After 158 years, Waynesburg College, founded in 1849, became Waynesburg University last month with a name change that "better reflects the institution we have become," according to the school's president, Timothy R. Thyreen. Thyreen spoke those words at a news conference Aug. 20 announcing the new moniker. "While changing our name better reflects the institution we have become, our core values, our mission and our personal attention to our students, will remain the same, he said. Pennsylvania Secretary of Education Gerald L. Zahorchak approved the name change on Aug. 10. The final decision was preceded by an extensive application process and a successful site visit from an evaluation team led by Dr. David Black, president of Eastern University in St. Davids, PA. Waynesburg's recent "transformation" in mission, enrollment growth, program diversity and prestige "makes the move to university a natural step in the institution's progression," said a statement posted on the school's Web site.

###

SHERMAN, TX - Austin College students launched a micro-credit program in April that encourages fellow students to turn their pocket change into beneficial micro-loans for small businesses in West Africa. Through the spring 2007 semester, students raised approximately $1,700, according to a news release posted on the school's Web site. Austin College's Global Outreach [GO] Change program works through Tostan, a community empowerment program based in Senegal, West Africa, that loans small amounts of money directly to small business entrepreneurs who otherwise would not qualify for financial assistance. Besides micro-lending, Tostan - which means "breakthrough" - contributes to the human dignity of African people through education, mainly by teaching health, hygiene, human rights, problem solving, literacy and math.

###

SAN ANTONIO, TX - Jody Williams, winner of the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize and founding coordinator of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL), will present the Trinity University DeCoursey Lecture for the 2007-2008 academic year on Oct. 1 at 7:30 p.m. Her presentation, titled "The Individual's Impact on Social and Political Change," will be held free of charge in the Laurie Auditorium and is open to the public. Williams is a renowned crusader against war and the lingering effects of armed conflicts. Named by Forbes as one of the 100 Most Powerful Women in the World, she speaks extensively on human rights.

###

DANVILLE, KY - Centre College recently committed to reducing its carbon emissions with President John Roush's signing of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). He joins higher education leaders of more than 300 institutions across the country in endorsing the goals of the pact. Under provisions of the ACUPCC, Centre and other member institutions will work for creating a comprehensive institutional action plan moving toward climate neutrality. The plan includes adopting green standards for buildings, enhancing Energy Star certification for products purchased by the college and offsetting emissions resulting from travel.

###

DAVIDSON, NC - Davidson College has teamed with Internet Consulting Services (ICS) of Syracuse, NY, to launch a new interactive Web site for its department of athletics. Wildcat fans worldwide will now have unprecedented access to information and programming about their favorite sports teams. Davidson will stream live video of a number of games for various sports, including men and women's basketball, football, volleyball, men and women's soccer and wrestling. A link to free live audio broadcasts through Teamline Sports will also be provided. The site will contain complete news, rosters, schedules, scores, statistics, records and bios for all 21 Wildcat Division I varsity programs. In addition, fans can sign up to receive a weekly e-newsletter to catch up on Davidson athletics.