From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Presiding Bishop will host October 16 webcast

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:32:12 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink October 1, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Presiding Bishop will host October 16 webcast * DIOCESAN DIGEST - COLORADO: Ecclesiastical Court affirms guilty verdict for Armstrong * FEATURE - South Carolina parishioners began HIV/AIDS orphanage in Haiti * OPINION - Sin of slavery: Freedom is God's gift of human dignity

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Presiding Bishop will host October 16 webcast

'Episcopal Life Focus' multicast also set for October 11

[Episcopal News Service] A live webcast with Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori on October 16, and the second monthly edition of "Episcopal Life Focus" -- a half-hour video "multicast" featuring church mission, ministries and news -- are upcoming program highlights from Episcopal Life Media.

Co-produced with Trinity Church Wall Street, the webcast will begin at 3 p.m. Eastern time on October 16 and is planned to feature the Presiding Bishop's responses to questions asked via telephone and email during the program.

Access will be available through both the websites of the Episcopal Church and Trinity Wall Street.

Meanwhile, the new edition of Episcopal Life Focus, set for release online October 11, will feature coverage of the House of Bishops September meeting in New Orleans, the Archbishop of Canterbury's visit there, and the hands-on post-hurricane rebuilding and pastoral work offered by the bishops and spouses along the Gulf Coast.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_90596_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

COLORADO: Ecclesiastical Court affirms guilty verdict for Armstrong http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_90603_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

FEATURES

South Carolina parishioners began HIV/AIDS orphanage in Haiti

By Ray Comfort

[Episcopal Life] It was a Monday evening in September 2002, and I was making dinner at our Edisto Beach, South Carolina, home. Trisha and I had finished our first day of work since returning from a mission trip to Haiti.

Trisha sat on the stool at the kitchen island across from me and asked, "So, what about Haiti?" I said, "I want to go." She said, "I do, too!"

It is now 2007, and we have run an orphanage for children born with HIV/AIDS for a year.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_90600_ENG_HTM.htm

More Features: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78936_ENG_HTM.htm

OPINION

Sin of slavery Freedom is God's gift of human dignity

By Timothy Safford

[Episcopal Life] General Convention 2006 called the Episcopal Church to confront the sin of slavery in our past. At Christ Church in Philadelphia, we put this to the test, attempting to make "a full, faithful and informed accounting of our history."

During this past summer, we brought back into focus the life of Oney Judge, household slave of one of the Episcopal Church's most prominent and revered members, President George Washington. The President's House, where George and Martha Washington lived while in Philadelphia, has been carefully excavated by the National Park Service, right in the shadow of the Liberty Bell. Under centuries of dirt, archaeologists uncovered not only the first oval office, but also the reality that the Washingtons kept nine slaves while living -- and worshipping in the Episcopal Church -- in Philadelphia.

Oney Judge came to Philadelphia with George and Martha Washington in 1790. She was seamstress, playmate to children and companion to Martha Washington. In 1796, after learning that she was to be a wedding present to Martha Washington's eldest granddaughter, she escaped, with the help of free blacks in Philadelphia, while the Washingtons ate dinner. Leaving from the docks in the shadow of the Christ Church steeple, she was smuggled by ship to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and lived out her days as a free woman, marrying and bearing children of her own.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_90586_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm