From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderator's Rallying Cry for Congregations: "Be Not Afraid!"

From "Broadhurst, Tom" <tbroadhu@united-church.ca>
Date Thu, 4 Oct 2007 21:46:53 -0400

For Immediate Release --Thursday, October 4, 2007

Moderator's Rallying Cry for Congregations: "Be Not Afraid! "

United Church Moderator says congregations should focus les s on survival and more on responding to the suffering and need of t he world

Toronto: In a letter mailed to United Church congregation s this month, the Moderator of The United Church of Canada, th e Right Rev. David Giuliano, offers words of encouragement and issues a challenge.

"The health and vitality of our congregations depends on our response to the suffering of the world around us," writes Giuliano.

He adds, "Most people, if they encounter our church at all, do so through a local church community. Your congregation is th e primary way our understanding of the gospel mingles with the sufferin g and need of the world."

The letter emphasizes that congregations should focus less on their own survival and more on the church's mission.

"Some of our congregations are struggling. Some are exper iencing a renewal of Spirit. In either case our hope is not for our survival or even growth but in what God can accomplish through us. The Book of Isaiah records a promise that we will flourish like a watered garden when we care for the homeless, hungry, and oppressed."

He adds, "Jesus put it even more starkly: 'For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their lif e for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it' (Mark 8.35) . We need to continually rediscover not how to save our life but how to give it away for the gospel."

Giuliano writes, "I am praying that more of us become concerned with Jesus' call to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, shelt er the homeless, and visit those who are sick, lonely, or in prison. I am praying that our preoccupation with getting people into church is tran sformed by a passion for getting the church out into the world. I am praying that we welcome strangers with a radical hospitality that sees in them the face of Christ-not an 'identifiable giver' or a 'potential com mittee member'! I am praying that our worries about buildings and budge ts are overtaken by excitement for the mission of our church."

Giuliano admits his challenge to the church will involve risking familiar and precious belongings and customs. Nevertheless, he says, he thinks he was elected Moderator because of three simple words that he offered to the church at the time of his election: "B e not afraid."

Speaking to United Church commissioners in August 2006, G iuliano said that whenever the words "be not afraid" are whispered i n our midst, they mean "God is getting ready to do something new and is inviting us to be part of that." He added, "I am convinced that fear is ultimately what stands between us and hearing and doing God's dream for us at this time."

In this month's pastoral letter to congregations he again refers to these three words, "Be not afraid." He writes: "They ar e words that resound throughout the gospel story. They are not a cal l to courage, but a call to faith. Let us move forward in faith, not fear, to embrace our call to life. Let us encourage one another toward God's dream for us and through us in the world."

The complete text of the Moderator's pastoral letter is posted on The United Church of Canada's website at www.united-church.ca.

To arrange media interviews, please contact:

Mary-Frances Denis Communications Officer The United Church of Canada 416-231-7680 ext. 2016 (office)

--30--

Pastoral Letter, October 2007

Dear Friends,

To loose the bonds of injustice,...

to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house... then...you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:6-7, 11

Greetings in the beautiful name of Jesus, through whose body we share our common life. I am writing you to offer encouragemen t and share some news. In June, following a year of prayerful discernment about priorities, the General Council Executive approved a plan reflecting those priorities. You can read more about that on the United Church web site.

Among those priorities, though, is a reaffirmation that y ou, congregations, are the "primary mission unit" of The Unit ed Church of Canada. I thought we should let you know!

Most people, if they encounter our church at all, do so through a local church community. Your congregation is the primary way ou r understanding of the gospel mingles with the suffering and need of the world.

There are some things best done by pooling resources at the national level-including providing countless resources to support the ministry of your congregation and supporting our global partners and community ministries in Canada. Your continued support for the Miss ion and Service Fund makes that possible. However, when our congregations are vital and engaged in the ministry of Jesus Christ in the world, our national witness has credibility and our house is built on a s olid foundation. Some of our congregations are struggling. Some are experi encing a renewal of Spirit. In either case our hope is not for our survival or even growth but in what God can accomplish through us. The Book of Isaiah records a promise that we will flourish like a watered garden when we care for the homeless, hungry, and oppressed. T he health and vitality of our congregations depends on our response to the suffering of the world around us.

[...]

I do not know what that will look like, there in yo ur community. Perhaps you do. I do know that it will involve risking famili ar and precious belongings and customs.

I think I was elected Moderator because of three simple words that were put in me for our church: "Be not afraid." They are words that resound throughout the gospel story. They are not a call to c ourage, but a call to faith. Let us move forward in faith, not fear, to embrace our call to life. Let us encourage one another toward God's dream f or us and through us in the world.

Peace be with you,

David Giuliano (The Right Reverend) Moderator

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of The United Churc h of Canada. It is intended for the sole use of the i ntended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you a re not authorized to read, print, retain copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this me ssage.