From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UCC] UCC Church Leaders to Risk Arrest Delivering Peace Petitions to White House

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:09:45 -0700

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Rev. J. Bennett Guess news director, United Church of Christ - 216-403-9862 (cell) Phone: (216) 736-2177 E-Mail: guessb@ucc.org

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Media Advisory: UCC church leaders will risk arrest delivering pro-peace petitions to White House

Washington, DC-

What: Two national officers of the United Church of Christ will deliver over 55,000 church-member-signed anti-war petitions to the White House

When & Where: Wednesday October 10, 2007. 12:30 p.m (ET), White House gate near Lafayette Park

Who: The Rev. John H. Thomas, general minister and president of the 1.2 million-member UCC The Rev. Linda Jaramillo, executive minister for the UCC's Justice and Witness Ministries

Why: "We believe we are at a critical moment when impasse, resignation and discouragement can easily allow failed policies to continue for months," say Thomas and Jaramillo. "Therefore, our witness will also include an urgent plea to the leaders of our own church in every setting, and to our ecumenical colleagues, to find their own way to offer visible and courageous witness for justice and peace in Iraq."

More information is available at http://www.ucc.org/100kforpeace/

###