From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Weeks Ahead / Catalyst: In The Midst of Chaos

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:32:20 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Daybook -- Today is Wednesday, October 10, 2007.

* Today in Scripture:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1747, John Potter, Archbishop of Canterbury, died.

_____________________

WEEKS AHEAD

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Events

10/11/2007

>> BIRMINGHAM, Alabama: Watersheds and Warming

10/12/2007 >> MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota: Beijing Circles >> NORTHERN, Michigan: Diocese of Northern Michigan to meet in convention >> BETHLEHEM, Pennsylvania: Diocese of Bethlehem to meet in convention >> BERKELEY, California: Fourth Annual St. Margaret Lecture >> BOSTON, Massachusetts: Hip Hop Schoolhouse >> PRINEVILLE, Oregon: Diocese of Eastern Oregon to meet in convention >> MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin: Diocese of Milwaukee to meet in convention >> VAILS GATE, New York: River of Joy >> ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana: Diocese of Western Louisiana to meet in convention >> LAS VEGAS, Nevada: Diocese of Nevada to meet in convention

10/13/2007

>> LAKESIDE, Connecticut: Bread for the Journey

10/16/2007

>> WASHINGTON, D.C.: Peace Concert at Washington National Cathedral

10/17/2007

>> BERKELEY, California: Conference for Prospective Seminary Students at CDSP

10/18/2007

>> MUNICH, Germany: American Churches in Europe to meet in convention >> MEDFORD, Massachusetts: H.H. Richardson Lecture

10/19/2007

>> MOLINE, Illinois: Diocese of Quincy to meet in convention >> DALLAS, Texas: Diocese of Dallas to meet in convention >> SAGINAW, Michigan: Diocese of Eastern Michigan to meet in convention

HARTFORD, Connecticut: Diocese of Connecticut to meet in convention

>> APPLETON, Wisconsin: Diocese of Fond Du Lac to meet in convention >> PHOENIX, Arizona: Diocese of Arizona will meet in convention >> CALIFORNIA: Diocese of California to meet in convention >> POST FALLS, Idaho: Diocese of Spokane to meet in convention >> ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico: Diocese of Rio Grande to meet in convention

TOPEKA, Kansas: Diocese of Kansas to meet in convention

10/20/2007

>> VENICE, Florida: Diocese of Southwest Florida to meet in convention

10/21/2007

>> PUERTO RICO: Diocese of Puerto Rico to meet in convention >> WASHINGTON, D.C.: State of Virginia to be celebrated at Cathedral

10/22/2007

>> ORLANDO, Florida: Start Up Start Over seminar

10/25/2007

>> WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina: Primeros Pasos

10/26/2007

>> HONOLULU, Hawaii: Diocese of Hawaii to meet in convention >> BANGOR, Maine: Diocese of Maine to meet in convention >> ST. PAUL, Minnesota: Diocese of Minnesota to meet in convention >> LANSING, Michigan: Diocese of Michigan to meet in convention >> AUSTIN, Texas: Visitors weekend at Seminary of the Southwest >> SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts: Diocese of Western Massachusetts to meet in convention >> PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island: Diocese of Rhode Island to meet in convention >> WESTERN NEW YORK: Diocese of Western New York to meet in convention >> DEARBORN, Michigan: Executive Council to meet >> IDAHO FALLS, Idaho: Diocese of Idaho to meet in convention >> SAN JOAQUIN: Diocese of San Joaquin to meet in convention >> COLUMBUS, Indianapolis: Diocese of Indianapolis to meet in convention >> SAN ANGELO, Texas: Diocese of Northwest Texas to meet in convention >> SALT LAKE CITY, Utah: Diocese of Utah to meet in convention >> COLUMBIA, South Carolina: Diocese of Upper South Carolina to meet in convention >> COLBY, Kansas: Diocese of Western Kansas to meet in convention

10/27/2007

>> JACKSONVILLE, Illinois: Diocese of Springfield to meet in convention

LYNN, Massachusetts: MDG workshops

>> NORTHERN INDIANA: Diocese of Northern Indiana to meet in convention >> SALINAS, California: Diocese of El Camino Real to meet in convention

10/29/2007

>> AUGUSTA, Georgia: Cynthia Bourgeault to lead seminar

10/30/2007 >> HOUSTON, Texas: Leadership and Faith

11/2/2007

>> DES MOINES, Iowa: Diocese of Iowa to meet in convention >> ERIE, Pennsylvania: Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania to meet in convention

Music

10/13/2007

>> MILFORD, Massachusetts: Concerts at the Corner

10/14/2007 >> BIRMINGHAM, Alabama: Choral Evensong

10/19/2007

>> WATERBURY, Connecticut: Festival of Choirs

10/20/2007

>> MEMPHIS, Tennessee: Emmanuel Music and Arts Festival

10/21/2007

>> THE PLAINS, Virginia: Grace Church Concert Series

10/26/2007

>> BIRMINGHAM, Alabama: Mid-day Musical Menu

11/4/2007

>> BROOKLYN, New York: Premiere of Dream Variations

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

Catalyst: "In The Midst of Chaos: Caring for Children as Spiritual Practice" from Wiley, by Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore, 242 pages, hardcover, c. 2007, $21.95

[Source: Wiley] When people think of the spiritual life, they often automatically picture uninterrupted silence and serenity. When people picture parenting, they see noise and complication, dirty diapers, sleepless nights, phone calls from teachers, endless to-do lists, teen rooms strewn with stuff, car-ride pandemonium. By and large, these portraits are accurate. Spirituality requires focused attention, and caring for children in our fast-paced, stress-filled, technology-driven, postindustrial, postmodern society is perhaps one of the most intrusive, disorienting occupations around. How can we find spiritual depth in the midst of the chaos of our lives with children?

Theologian, mother, and writer Bonnie J. Miller-McLemore gives us some answers to this question and shows us how to integrate and strengthen the practice of faith in the everyday (and often mundane) experience of raising children. In the Midst of Chaos reveals what it takes to find the spiritual wisdom in the messy, familial ways of living. By rethinking parenting as an invitation to discover God in the middle of our busy and overstuffed lives, it relieves parents of the burden of being the all-knowing authority figures who impart spiritual knowledge to children. Finding spirituality in family activities such as reading bedtime stories, dividing household chores, and playing games can empower parents to notice what they are already doing as potentially valuable and to practice it more consciously as part of their own faith journey.

Miller-McLemore's book is both child-friendly and caregiver-supportive and promotes a greater understanding of faith and theology. Filled with real and sometimes humorous stories from the author's and others' lives, each chapter explores one practice that encourages both adults and kids to grow in faith. In the Midst of Chaos shares a sense of the grace that comes when we are honest about the difficulties and attentive to the blessings present in everyday family life.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org