From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[WARC] We are better together, Reformed church leaders told

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2007 13:09:07 -0700

World Alliance of Reformed Churches News Release 19 October 2007

WARC Executive Committee: Trinidad and Tobago, 18-28 October 2007

We are better together, Reformed church leaders told

Reclaim the unity Christ has given us, the head of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) urged on the opening day of a critical Executive Committee meeting dealing with unity issues.

â??The heart of the gospel is that we are better together. God has called us to be part of a communion, part of a community,â?? declared WARC president Clifton Kirkpatrick at the opening worship of the 10-day meeting in Trinidad and Tobago.

â??While the call to communion is a core Reformed conviction, it is often not a Reformed virtue these days. When we disagree with one another, all too often we end up splitting,â?? he added.

â??We are being called to claim the unity given in Christ? Support one another, be a community and a communion. We are called to go together for the long haul for the sake of the peace and reconciliation of the world.â??

The WARC Executive Committee will decide at this meeting whether to approve the formation of a wider ecumenical organization with the Reformed Ecumenical Council, how to continue conversations about becoming a closer communion, whether to readmit the Nederduitsch Hervomde Kerk van Afrika (Dutch Reformed Church) and how to continue to work towards an ecumenical assembly of various communions.

The worship service at the Aramalaya Presbyterian Church in Tunapuna was filled with both the sounds of the Caribbean steel drums and traditional Reformed music accompanied by organ.

About 60 Reformed leaders from around the world worshipped alongside members of the Presbyterian Church in Trinidad and Tobago and brought gifts from their home countries, including tea from Sri Lanka, a candle from Sweden and a crocheted mat from Lebanon.

A special hymn written by local pastor Everson Sieunarine rang out through the church, echoing Kirkpatrickâ??s plea: â??Let all our gifts be offered, to build and edify, one church from one world gathered, Godâ??s name to glorify.â??

Elvis Elahie, moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Trinidad and Tobago, added, â??The line which may have separated guest and host has been erased and we have become one. Thus we shall proceed as members of the one body, the body of Christ.â??

Meanwhile the Executive Committee received a strong challenge from youth who had just attended a youth event sponsored by the Caribbean and North American Area Council of WARC in Trinidad and Tobago.

Their meeting looked at the depletion of natural resources in Trinidad, the growing prosperity gap in Canada and ethnic conflict in Guyana and the young Reformed church members expressed concern that their churches are not taking such issues seriously enough.

â??We have to take a stand,â?? said Keron Khellawan of Trinidad and Tobago. â??In all of our churches we donâ??t find that they are taking stands on some of these critical issues.â?? He added, â?? We need to put the Bible in the context of the community and not just read it individually.â??

***

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together 75 million Reformed Christians in 214 churches in 107 countries - united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC's secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Contact: John P. Asling Executive Secretary, Communications World Alliance of Reformed Churches 150 Route de Ferney P.O. Box 2100 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland tel. +41.22 791 6243 fax: +41.22 791 6505 web: www.warc.ch

More about WARC: http://www.warc.ch/newsreleases/visibility.doc WCC ID: nJoBWU5exi1qWrutF9UPe3zxFO1kvkS1uXQ4WDHV1NjMpf3OQUc2W1yD9KlKiEs