From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

'See Van Go' supports physical and financial health of church

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:53:08 -0500

ELCA News Blog

October 25, 2007

'See Van Go' supports physical and financial health of church

by Frank Imhoff, ELCA News Service

T. Van Matthews, a franchise owner and senior financial adviser, Ameriprise Financial, Greenville, S.C., took the long way of getting to his final meeting as a trustee of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Board of Pensions. Van and Melinda Matthews, Simpsonville, S.C., cycled July 20-Aug. 1 more than 700 miles from St. Charles, Mo., to Minneapolis on a route along the Mississippi River. They raised $35,000 for the ELCA Special Needs Retirement Fund and drew attention to the Board's wellness campaign, "Live well -- Healthy leaders enhance lives."

"This ride is one of the best things I've ever done," Matthews said, according to a Board news release. "My wife Melinda and I met many wonderful people along the way -- pastors, members of congregations and others who joined us for part of the ride. My sincere thanks go out to all who helped make my ride possible."

The Special Needs Retirement Fund supplements the incomes of retired pastors, lay leaders and surviving spouses whose salaries during working years were so low that they have inadequate income to pay for even basic retirement expenses, such as food and housing. The ELCA Board of Pensions is based in Minneapolis. It provides retirement, health and related benefits and services to 50,000 pastors and lay employees and their families. It serves nearly 11,000 congregations and other sponsoring ELCA organizations.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog