From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELO] Climate justice for the poor is Capitol Hill topic of U.S., British faith leaders

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:34:14 -0400

Episcopal Life Online Newslink October 25, 2007

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's ELO Newslink includes:

* TOP STORY - Climate justice for the poor is Capitol Hill topic of U.S., British faith leaders * DIOCESAN DIGEST - MASSACHUSETTS: Members leave third diocesan parish for African affiliation * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Archbishop of York presents slave vases to Houses of Lords, Commons Speakers * WORLD REPORT - EUROPE: Archbishop of Canterbury visits Naples for St. Egidio meeting * FEATURE - Great Idea: Vestry School helps relieve jitters

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Climate justice for the poor is Capitol Hill topic of U.S., British faith leaders

[National Council of Churches] The moral imperative the religious community has to combat climate change and protect those living in poverty was addressed October 24 at a U.S. House of Representatives briefing in Washington, D.C. Anglican Bishop James Jones of Liverpool, England, and the Rev. Brenda Girton-Mitchell, associate general secretary for justice and advocacy at the National Council of Churches USA (NCC), joined forces in addressing a Capitol Hill audience.

Jones, traveling for a week in the U.S. to speak with religious leaders about global climate change, articulated the need for the world faith communities to take action on the issue of climate change.

"The Bible calls us to care for all of God's creation," said Jones. "The science of anthropogenic climate change is incontrovertible. It is the poor who are most immediately impacted by changes in our climate; it is the poor who are least able to act to change our world. The wealthy nations still feel little of the effects of climate change, yet they are most able to act for the sake of the poor and for the sake of the earth. We must act at three levels -- personally, parochially within our communities, and publicly through our policies."

Girton-Mitchell echoed the bishop's sentiments: "It is our call to help our faith communities understand that climate change has a huge impact on those things that we see as more immediate concerns. Climate change impacts healthcare, food availability, our homes, and our families."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_91333_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

MASSACHUSETTS: Members leave third diocesan parish for African affiliation http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_91340_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Archbishop of York presents slave vases to Houses of Lords, Commons Speakers http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_91334_ENG_HTM.htm

EUROPE: Archbishop of Canterbury visits Naples for St. Egidio meeting http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_91335_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

FEATURES

Great Idea: Vestry School helps relieve jitters

[Episcopal Life] The Episcopal Diocese of Fond du Lac has a great idea about how to relieve stress for new vestry members. The bishop, treasurer, diocesan administrator and a few educators and communications professionals offer Vestry School each spring.

"The primary role of a vestry is to work with clergy to provide spiritual leadership," says Bishop Russell Jacobus in the promo for the plenary session he leads. He promises a how-to on developing a congregation's spiritual life.

One dozen workshops address "what every vestry member should know about church finances," records and archives, parochial reports and reviews, stewardship and planned giving. Also on the agenda is how to care for clergy, "The Windsor Process," church communications and "Interest Group Discussions."

The subsidized, one-day school costs $15, and attendees get breakfast, lunch and afternoon snacks as part of the deal. To learn more about the school, contact Diocesan Administrator Matthew Payne, 920-921-8866.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_91336_ENG_HTM.htm