From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Church of Scotland leaders see many parallels with PC(USA)

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:51:53 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story online with photos at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07690.htm

07690 October 26, 2007

Church of Scotland leaders see many parallels with PC(USA) Visitors hope visit will 'spark' creative approaches to ministry

by Jerry L. Van Marter Presbyterian News Service

LOUISVILLE - Persistent membership losses. Struggles to keep young people in the church. Simmering controversies over homosexuality that threaten church unity. Restructure of the national offices.

Yes, it's the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

But it's also the Church of Scotland, two visiting officials of the PC(USA)'s "mother church" told the Presbyterian News Service during an Oct. 24 visit to the Presbyterian Center here.

"There are parallels all over the place," said the Rev. Angus Morrison, pastor of St. Columba Old Parish Church in Stornoway and convenor of the Convener of the Church of Scotland Mission and Discipleship Council.

"We see so many common strands that we're hoping we can spark each other," agreed the Rev. Douglas A. O. Nicol, who is Secretary of the Mission and Discipleship Council.

Nicol's and Morrison's visit is the result of conversations they had with the Rev. Tom Taylor, the PC(USA)'s deputy executive director for mission, when he was in Scotland last spring. At that time, Taylor was struck by the similarities between the two churches.

"We're here for useful interactive work," said Nicol. "Personal contact is essential. Until you know your colleagues, Web sites and resources have their limits."

On their weeklong trip, the Scottish leaders will also visit the Billy Graham Training Center in Asheville, N.C.; the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association international headquarters and library in Charlotte; Greenville, S.C., where they will attend the installation of the Rev. Richard Gibbons, a Scot, as pastor of First Presbyterian Church; the town of Pendleton, S.C., which has a "twinning" relationship with Morrison's town of Stornoway; and Princeton Theological Seminary, where President Iain Torrance, also a Scot, is a longtime colleague of the pair.

Like the PC(USA), the Church of Scotland is struggling to overcome years of membership losses. Both denominations are losing members at about the same clip. In both countries, Nicol believes, "a lot of that is that the society has changed from 'membership' to 'loyalty.' Membership in all organizations is in free-fall, not just the church.

"Many of our churches are reporting increased attendance and participation," Nicol said. "We just have to turn round the concept of 'church' to realize this."

Morrison said the challenge of mission in the Church of Scotland "remains to go out and make disciples." One of their council's most exciting projects, they agreed, is "a faith-sharing project to help people with personal evangelism."

"Our faith is communicated person-to-person," Nicol said, "so we're trying to help folk be confident enough in their faith to go out and share it." The council has developed a book and a resource packet, including a CD, to help congregations equip their members for personal faith-sharing.

"It's also important that they freely share their doubts," Nicol added. "We all have them, so faith-sharing that includes our doubts has integrity for people."

Trying to retain young people in the church is another challenge both denominations face. "Our young people have a deep interest in spiritual matters, but it's very challenging to be a young Christian in Scotland today," conceded Morrison.

"But there's a growing 'emerging church' movement in our denomination," he added, "a fellowship that's growing around emerging models for youth that won't necessarily take traditional congregational forms."

The Scottish church isn't even taking younger children for granted. The church recently sponsored its first-ever "Children's Assembly," which drew 120 kids aged 10-12. "They gathered for worship and fun and we learned very much from them about how they feel about their place in the church," Morrison said. "Their ideas were eminently sensible and creative. They simply desire to be fully included."

For example, Nicol said, "They asked 'Why can't we decide when we're to be put out?' (dismissed during worship to go attend church school or other activities). They want to be there with us and I find that terribly exciting and illuminating."

Morrison added: "It's so ironic - we try so much to make our children into adults, when, as Jesus said, we should be learning how to be more childlike in our faith."

Another "hot" issue is interfaith relations, Nicol said. "We struggle with the whole question of dialogue versus conversion," he said. "The number of Muslims in Scotland is growing and so is their confidence. There's also a huge influx of emigrants from Eastern Europe."

The emigration is good for Scotland, both agreed, because population that had been declining is growing again and the age demographic in Scotland is trending younger. "We feel there is much promise for multi-faith cooperation and understanding," Nicol said.

He also said he's "quietly hopeful" that the bitter debates in the PC(USA) over homosexuality will not be replicated in the Church of Scotland. A study group working on the issue made its report to this year's General Assembly. "They insisted that we need to seek unity in our diversity and the Assembly went with it," he said.

"The report was not a fudge, as some have suggested," Morrison added. "It made absolutely clear the range of viewpoints that exist in our church, but stressed the need to talk together, not apart. Schism is the answer to nothing."

Nicol said he hopes the current absence of controversy over homosexuality will enable the church to address other issues, such as marriage and the exploitation of children. "We have so many unmarried couples and singles, who for years have felt marginalized in the church.

"If the church could sort out its theology of singleness, I believe lots of other sexuality-related issues would just fall into place."

Morrison said the homosexuality debate reflects "a much larger issue in the Church of Scotland - biblical interpretation and how we interpret the Bible with integrity." Biblical authority is central, "otherwise we're just another club," he said.

"A lot of work needs to be done."