From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Not so simple living

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:27:00 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story and photos may be seen here: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07695.htm

October 29, 2007

Not so simple living

A PC(USA) Young Adult Volunteer letter from Arizona

by Steve Gillard PC(USA) Young Adult Volunteer

TUCSON, AZ - We have made it past the first month of living in the Tucson Young Adult Volunteer (YAV) house, and it's finally consistently below 100º F. It has been an intense month of transition into a new reality, and it would be easy for me to go on and on about the quirks and small things about our house (the physical building and my YAV family) that give it a unique personality. However, there has been one theme recently that has dominated my thoughts.

The emphasis on simple living was very attractive to me when I was looking into doing a year with the YAV program. We have a small stipend each month and a large portion of that goes into a communal pot in the house for the cost of food and utilities. Needless to say, there isn't a ton of money for going out to eat, catching movies, or buying extra things. We also don't have a car and have been exploring the challenges and blessings of trying to get around town and running errands on bikes alone.

All this, along with not seeing any television for the past month, has been a great way to facilitate reflection without outside distractions. Coming into this year, I believed that this was a simple lifestyle, but I've recently been shown that I'm wrong.

Ours may be a lifestyle that is much simpler than the one I'm used to, but there have been interactions with people in Tucson that make me feel uneasy about describing our living as simple. Our house is not in the wealthiest part of town. The Santa Cruz "river" is directly behind our house, and a bike path runs along this river for about ten miles. Along this stretch of bike path I have seen many people in painful situations. I see several homeless people sleeping along the trail at any given point. I have had conversations with a few of these people during which they have explained the troubles and hardships that led them to the street and that keep them there.

We took a trip south to Nogales, Mexico, where we witnessed firsthand some of the conditions of those who are considering crossing the border. Blanca, the woman who hosted our group the first night, lives with her family in a house with cinderblock walls, a beat-up piece of tin for a roof, and no front door.

They are more exposed to the elements than any family should be; yet their sons gave up their bedroom so that we would have beds, and they prepared two wonderful meals for us. Despite these conditions they did not show signs of anxiety about the future and seemed generally happy. Working with the Community Home Repair Projects of Arizona exposes me to people every day whose monthly incomes fall well short of basic needs. Would I dare tell these people that I've come to Tucson to live a simple lifestyle? Many folks would probably take it as an insult that we are choosing to have less than we could when they struggle to get by and would love to have more.

I've come to the realization that despite the relative simplicity of our lifestyle in Tucson, we are blessed with overflowing abundance. We have a wonderful, functional home, good food to eat, a church support community, transportation that also gives us exercise, and no medical bills or debt to weigh constantly on our minds.

This is abundance.

A better word to describe the lifestyle here is "intentional." We try to be intentional about living in way that will minimize distractions so that we can focus on seeing God in the everyday events of life. My hope is that our intentional lifestyle will help us to hear God more clearly and give us the opportunity to react to God's calling.

For information about and letters from Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) mission workers and how to support them, visit the Web site [ http://www.pcusa.org/missionconnections ].