From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Mission workers request "carbon offsets" for Mission Challenge '07

From newsservice <newsservice@PCUSA.ORG>
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:45:15 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS

email list of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story may be seen here: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2007/07700.htm

07700 October 30, 2007

Mission workers request "carbon offsets" for Mission Challenge '07

Group collects $425 for environmental project in Madagascar

by Jerry L. Van Marter Presbyterian News Service

LOUISVILLE - A group of 30 Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) missionaries who are itinerating throughout the church this month as part of Mission Challenge '07, have asked the PC(USA) to help offset the "carbon footprint" generated by the effort.

While here in early October for orientation for Mission Challenge '07 - in which 48 PC(USA) missionaries are visiting 144 of the denominations 173 presbyteries during October to reconnect mission personnel with congregations and presbyteries for spiritual, communication and financial support - the group took up an offering of $425 to back up their request.

Their donation will go to the Reforestation and Environmental Education program of the Church of Jesus Christ in Madagascar (FJKM) - PC(USA) Extra Commitment Opportunity (ECO) account # E047980.

Through that program the FJKM is responding to the environmental degradation that is devastating the country by promoting sustainable integrated development.

PC(USA) funds will be used to install village tree nurseries, conduct training in nursery and soil management and create and operate an environmental education program in primary schools.

The full text of the statement adopted by the mission workers:

We the undersigned PC(USA) mission workers request that the Presbyterian Church (USA) explore ways to offset the carbon footprint generated by the Global Mission Conference and Mission Challenge '07. We believe it is our responsibility to be good stewards of the environment that God has entrusted to us. We would urge the Presbyterian Church to consider creative ways of achieving this goal, including such options as recycling agricultural waste, planting trees, etc. We hope that the PC(USA) will use the resources and expertise it has within its staff and partners to identify appropriate methods. We would also ask the denomination to develop and adopt policy to address this concern on an ongoing basis.

Individual contributions to the Madagascar project can be made through regular church channels, by calling PresbyTel at 800-872-3283; or by mail to Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Individual Remittance Processing, P.O. Box 643700, Pittsburgh, PA 15264.