From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 010-Post-tsunami Sri Lanka rebuilds amid worsening war

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 9 Jan 2008 16:51:45 -0600

Post-tsunami Sri Lanka rebuilds amid worsening war

Jan. 9, 2008

NOTE: Photographs available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Paul Jeffrey*

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (UMNS) - Three years ago, Susantha Jayalath survived the tsunami that swept across the Indian Ocean and devastated the coast of Sri Lanka.

He lost his fishing boat and nets, and within weeks sold his wife's jewelry to make the down-payment on a new boat. Then a war got in the way of earning a living, and life for Jayalath remains stalled long after the waves receded.

Jayalath's struggles reflect larger challenges that Sri Lanka has faced in the three years since the Dec. 26, 2004, tsunami killed 35,000 people and left more than half a million people homeless on the island nation. Yet hope seems an integral element of the character of those who take to the sea in small boats, so Jayalath has not given up.

His boat is anchored in the harbor of Mirissa, a nearby village on Sri Lanka's southern coast, and has a motor and nets donated by the National Christian Council of Sri Lanka, part of the massive relief effort of Action by Churches Together (ACT), a United Methodist-supported alliance of church agencies responding to emergencies.

Jayalath often sets off to resume fishing; yet each time he is told by military officials that he can't go far from shore. "Before the tsunami, there were lots of fish," he explained. "But since then, everything has changed. It's much harder to earn a living fishing today.

"I can only have a motor that's less than 15 horsepower, because if it's bigger the Navy says it could be used by the LTTE [the rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam]. And I can only go out 5 kilometers, even though the big fish are farther out. They let the big boats go out there, but not small fishermen like me. I don't know how I'm supposed to earn a living."

Jayalath and his family still live in a temporary shelter built on the ruins of their old house. He's not allowed by law to rebuild there, however, as it falls within a coastal buffer zone where the Sri Lankan government has prohibited new construction of family dwellings. The government offered him land 9 kilometers inland, but he said he needs to be by the sea to work. The price of suitable land closer to the coast has skyrocketed.

Jayalath's frustrations mirror those of many around the perimeter of this island of 20 million people where, by a year after the waves receded, any sense of national unity generated by the tsunami had clearly evaporated.

Renewed fighting

Despite a 2002 cease-fire agreement, renewed fighting between Tamil separatists in the north and the Sinhalese-dominated government in Colombo has killed more than 5,000 people in the last two years, taking the death toll since the war erupted in 1983 to around 70,000. The government officially terminated the cease-fire agreement on Jan. 3.

Thousands of civilians, including many displaced by the tsunami and just resettled in new homes, have been uprooted again by the renewed fighting.

To the Rev. Jayasiri Peiris, chief executive of the National Christian Council, December of 2004 represents a missed opportunity. "When the waves were crashing down on Sri Lanka, both the LTTE and the government protected the people," he said. "They both carried out rescue operations without bothering about religion or ethnic affiliation. But some mischief makers with their own political agenda didn't want that to continue."

According to a November report from the International Crisis Group, a resurgence of Sinhalese nationalism in the south has emboldened extremists and handed "established politicians a diversion from their failure to address economic weakness, social concerns and pervasive corruption."

The report also blames the "brutality and intransigence" of the LTTE, the so-called "Tamil Tigers," for the country's deteriorating political climate, and argues that the two competing nationalisms "have sapped the ability of governments to develop a consensus for a negotiated settlement and power sharing" to the long conflict.

Despite the discouraging political environment, tsunami-related reconstruction goes on. ACT-sponsored houses are being finished and families are moving in. Supplementary classes for tsunami-affected children continue to meet in makeshift schoolrooms. Livelihood projects provide critical income for people for whom the depressed fishing industry has meant continued suffering.

"The housing problem is relatively solved from an outsider's view, but for the fishing families it's not all right," said the Rev. Ramash Fernando, a Methodist pastor in Tangalle. "If you're forced to live 8 to 10 kilometers away from the sea, it's difficult to do your job. These are people who know only how to fish. And there are indirect effects as well. Many of the women who lived near the harbors earned money stitching nets, but they can't do that now if they live far inland. Many fishing families were doing fine but lived in a poor house before the tsunami, and now after the tsunami they live in a nice house but have hardly any income."

Fernando said he joined with other Catholic and Buddhist religious leaders in the area to pressure the government to relax its restrictions on rebuilding along the coast, but with no significant result.

Rebuilding livelihoods

Although it has built almost 200 new homes for tsunami survivors, much of the National Christian Council's focus over the last three years has been rebuilding livelihoods, thus sidestepping the chronic delays and bureaucratic difficulties of housing reconstruction.

"We've had a significant impact by setting people back on their feet materially and psychologically, both in the fishing and non-fishing sectors. While some nongovernmental organizations focused more on housing, we worked on equipping people with the skills and tools for them to support their families over the long haul," said Kishani de Vaz, director of the National Christian Council's tsunami recovery program.

After that, it's been up to the ingenuity of beneficiaries. P.H. Nandasini's house near Tangalle was destroyed by the tsunami. He never found his boat or nets. He got a new boat motor from ACT, which he puts on the back of his bicycle and peddles 15 kilometers to place on a friend's boat. Together they fish and then divide the proceeds.

A Buddhist, Nandasini said ACT has provided the only significant assistance in his village. "The government doesn't have money or a plan. And other groups from other countries come here and ask thousands of questions about our needs, then they come back and take pictures of us, and then we never see them again," he said.

According to de Vaz, the renewed conflict-with its security restrictions and massive population displacements-has made tsunami recovery even more complicated and expensive. "If prices and people would have just remained where they were in 2005, this would have been a lot easier," she said.

Training programs have to be constantly reworked. "We do an assessment and mark some people out for training or education, but when we go to find them they've been forced to move because of the conflict," she said.

Since the war's renewal, Sri Lanka has been a dangerous place for aid workers, and access by nongovernmental organizations to internally displaced families is often prohibited by the government. So the National Christian Council works with pastors from its eight member denominations who do have access. "There's a lot we can do through them," de Vaz said.

In the south of the country, which is strongly Buddhist, access to affected communities often was accomplished in coordination with local temple leaders. Cooperation was so successful in most areas that church leaders say Buddhist-Christian tension, which had erupted in several violent attacks before the tsunami, is today greatly reduced.

"We have always communicated with the religious leaders of an area that we had no intention of converting the people," she explained. "We were there simply to provide them assistance. As a result, there are fewer tensions today than in the past, because they've seen that our work was done to help them, not to convert them."

Relief worries

De Vaz does worry about the effect that the larger tsunami recovery effort-what some dubbed the "second tsunami"-has had on Sri Lankan culture.

"We've unfortunately become a more dependent society. In our work, we've tried hard to help people move away from wanting handouts, from waiting for someone else to come and solve their problems, and instead learn to study and work to set themselves up in a way they can support their families. Perhaps much of the relief funding came in too quickly and took away the opportunity that people had to help each other."

Most of that outside assistance came with billboards attached. Sri Lanka has become "logoland"- its coastal areas blanketed with signs explaining how houses, boats, villages and schools are sponsored by foreign aid groups, governments, corporations and churches. The National Christian Council made a conscious decision at the beginning of the tsunami operation not to engage in such branding.

Peiris thinks questions about relief funding should go even farther. "Many of us ask why so much attention got focused on this disaster," he noted.

"Is the world only compassionate when there are dramatic catastrophes? How many children die every day from hunger or the lack of safe drinking water? That's an even greater catastrophe, but the conscience of many in the western world isn't moved to respond by that," he said. "There's something wrong with the world."

*Jeffrey is a United Methodist missionary and senior correspondent for Response, the magazine of United Methodist Women. He has covered Sri Lanka's response to the tsunami for Action by Churches Together.

News media contact: Linda Bloom, New York, (646) 369-3759 or newsdesk@umcom.org.