From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Christian Churches Together focuses on poverty, evangelism during annual meeting

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:51:37 -0500

Episcopal Life Daily January 15, 2008

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Christian Churches Together focuses on poverty, evangelism during annual meeting * DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEW YORK: Holy Trinity publishes national political agenda * DIOCESAN DIGEST - NEW YORK: Seamen's Church Institute delivers close to 500 gifts to Queen Victoria crew * DIOCESAN DIGEST - WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cathedral becomes sole East Coast venue for Keiskamma Altarpiece * PEOPLE - Communicator Daniel Webster joins staff of New York diocese * MULTIMEDIA - Video Stream: Navajoland Area Mission Bishop Mark MacDonald * OPINION - Earth prayer: A new psalm for a pressing problem * DAYBOOK - January 16, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History * CATALYST - Living Lent: Meditation for These Forty Days

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Christian Churches Together focuses on poverty, evangelism during annual meeting

[Christian Churches Together] During its four-day annual meeting, Christian Churches Together in the USA (http://www.christianchurchestogether.org) (CCT) representatives of 43 participating churches and organizations continued to discern how to work together in confronting domestic poverty and promoting evangelism.

CCT represents the broadest national table of conversation among Christian churches in the United States, according to a news release from the organization. The meeting took place in January 8-11 at the Conference Center at the Maritime Institute (http://www.ccmit.org) in Baltimore, Maryland.

"It is a joy for The Episcopal Church to be a participant member of this broadest ecumenical association in the United States," said Bishop Christopher Epting, the Presiding Bishop's deputy for ecumenical and interfaith relations. "It is complementary -- not in competition with -- the National Council of Churches, just as the Global Christian Forum is in relationship with the World Council of Churches. CCT has taken yet another step forward however in agreeing to work together in the years ahead on issues of domestic poverty and evangelism here in the United States."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_93949_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

NEW YORK: Holy Trinity publishes national political agenda http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_93948_ENG_HTM.htm

NEW YORK: Seamen's Church Institute delivers close to 500 gifts to Queen Victoria crew http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_93931_ENG_HTM.htm

WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cathedral becomes sole East Coast venue for Keiskamma Altarpiece http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_93927_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

PEOPLE

Communicator Daniel Webster joins staff of New York diocese

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Daniel J. Webster has been appointed as Canon for Congregational Development for the Mid-Hudson Region in the Episcopal Diocese of New York as of January 16. He will also serve as vicar of St. Andrew's Chapel, Montgomery.

Webster was most recently the director of media relations for the National Council of Churches USA. From 2001 to 2006, he was director of communications for the Episcopal Diocese of Utah. He has been a media advisor to Episcopal dioceses and national ministries, and served congregations in Utah and California.

Before attending the Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest in Austin, Texas, Webster spent 25 years in broadcast journalism. He worked with NBC News for 12 years in various capacities, including west coast producer of NBC News Overnight in Burbank and deputy bureau chief in Washington, D.C. He worked at local television stations in six states as news director, anchor, reporter, producer and photographer, and spent three years with The Associated Press, Washington D.C., creating a television marketing division. He has written articles for many religious and secular publications.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_93910_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

MULTIMEDIA

Navajoland Area Mission Bishop Mark MacDonald

[Episcopal Life] The Rt. Rev. Mark MacDonald speaks about his ministry as bishop of the Navajoland Area Mission and the first National Indigenous Bishop in the Anglican Church of Canada.

A video stream of MacDonald's interview is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

OPINION

Earth prayer A new psalm for a pressing problem

By Patricia Scott Taylor

[Episcopal Life] This past fall, the adult education class at my church offered a series on the Psalter. Several of us composed our own psalms to enhance our understanding of what Dietrich Bonhoeffer calls "the prayer book of the Bible."

After settling on the topic of creation, I thought about the pressing need that exists for the healing of the Earth. The witness of Native Americans and visionaries like Rachel Carson teach us respect for the Earth. The Millennium Development Goals make me aware of the vital role that environmental sustainability plays in achieving justice and peace among all people.

I wrote my psalm unaware of the oil tanker accident in San Francisco Bay November 7. Yet I found myself praying, "Not another Exxon Valdez." I felt a profound sadness when, on November 15, I read in Episcopal Life Online that 58,000 gallons of oil spilled into the bay when a ship collided with the Golden Gate Bridge. More than 1,000 birds were found saturated with fuel. Hundreds of them have died. Cleanup efforts continue, but more wildlife is threatened. The effect on the ecosystem will be felt for years. So my psalm now joins the prayers of many for the restoration of the bay as we deal with this tragedy.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_93933_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

DAYBOOK

On January 16, 2008...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On January 16, 1923, Bishop Cameron Mann presided over the primary diocesan convention of the Diocese of Southern Florida (later the Dioceses of Southeast Florida, Southwest Florida, and Central Florida).

CATALYST

"Living Lent: Meditation for These Forty Days" from Church Publishing, Inc., by Barbara Cawthorne Crafton, 124 pages, paperback, c. 1998, $10

[Church Publishing, Inc.] For centuries the words and poetry of our hymns have spoken to us of God. Many people, in fact, find that what is heard in poetry and music sinks more deeply into the soul than anything else. And so it is to the beautiful seasonal hymns that Barbara Cawthorne Crafton turns for inspiration for daily meditations during this great devotional season of the church year. "I hope that you find yourself humming familiar tunes to yourself as you read, and that this condition persists for the rest of the day," writes Crafton. Those who have known the hymns forever as well as those who are new to these verses will find them, and Crafton's meditations on faith, prayer, forgiveness, healing and more, an excellent companion for these important seasons of the year.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm