From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: American Baptists Celebrate Life and Legacy of King

From "Jayne, Andy" <Andy.Jayne@abc-usa.org>
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:40:17 -0500

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 01/18/08) - American Baptist Churches USA (ABCUSA) invited ABC staff, local churches, area businesses and local government representatives to remember Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at a noon service in the ABC Mission Center at Valley Forge, Pa., Jan. 18.

Rev. Charles Quann, keynote speaker and pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Penllyn and Spring House, Pa., challenged attendees to not just observe the holiday, but to remember the mission of the man. "Too many churches today follow the path of 'prosperity preaching' instead of Dr. King's message of social justice," he said. "The key question to ask ourselves is, are we making a difference with our lives?"

The service, a partnership between the Office of the General Secretary, National Ministries and International Ministries, included personal reflections on King as well as special music and the playing of the "I Have A Dream" speech. An offering of winter coats was also taken and will be distributed to those in need by People-to-People, the charitable arm of Greater Exodus Baptist Church, Phila. Pa.

"Dr. King has helped shape the aspirations of American Baptists and the world since the sixties," said Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley, general secretary, ABCUSA. "It is fitting that we recognize him, not just with a day of remembrance, but with the actions of our hearts."

King, an American Baptist preacher and social activist, is generally identified as the leading figure in the American Civil Rights movement during the 1960's which continues to find significance in today's world.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/