From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 027-Peoria gathers for 40 days of prayer against crime

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:15:13 -0600

Peoria gathers for 40 days of prayer against crime

Jan. 23, 2008

NOTE: Photographs and video available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Paul Black*

PEORIA, Ill. (UMNS)--Mayor Jim Ardis certainly has the community of Peoria talking.

Faced with rising statistics of crime and violence, Ardis called on the community to find their voice through the power of prayer and to engage in 40 days of prayer for their city. Congregations responded with nightly community-wide prayer services that began on New Year's Eve and continue through Feb. 8.

"This outward testament of our faith will truly be a defining moment in making our city a stronger community united in prayer," said Ardis. "Let this 40 days be the beginning of a new united spirit in Peoria and the surrounding area."

The Rev. Timothy Bias, pastor of the downtown First United Methodist Church and host pastor of the event, quoted from the prophet Jeremiah at the first service. "Israel was dispersed and divided in Jeremiah's time, but the prophet told the people, 'Pray to the Lord for peace and prosperity for the city, because if it prospers, so do you.'"

First United Methodist and Bradley-Epworth United Methodist are among the 35 congregations providing leadership for the services.

"Thank you for challenging us to heal our community," said the Rev. Linda Butler, a pastor of South Side Mission and a member of the local school board. "Look around ... so many different kinds of people, all in the family of faith," she told the first gathering.

The prayer services have centered on peace; unity in the family and community; a commitment to God and Christian service; protection and guidance for city leaders and city servants; and empowerment opportunities to decrease the poverty and depression that contribute to violence.

The Rev. Tony Pierce, co-pastor of Heaven's View Christian Fellowship, challenged those gathered on Jan. 11 to be unified as a community.

"Whether it's the Walk for Jesus or National Day of Prayer, we have never been fully integrated," Pierce said. "Why can't we get over it? Two years ago, a predominantly black church and a white suburban church merged to form Heaven's View. The tragedy is that temporary events are not strong enough to overcome the divide in our community. We have to pray as Jesus prayed that we all become one."

Pierce said Christians must live out that oneness expressed by Christ in the Gospel of John.

"You begin in Jerusalem and all Judea with people like you, then you move to Samaria, where people are somewhat like you, and then into the world, where people are different," Pierce said. "We like to say that the ground is level at the cross, but do we live it out?"

The prayer services already have generated dialogue. On Jan. 15, Ardis met with the Rev. Harvey Burnett, director of the Peoria Association of Pastors for Community and Spiritual Renewal, who asked that police, city officials and pastors meet monthly to share information aimed at lowering the crime rate.

Burnett said the 40 days of prayer, along with such ongoing communications, are essential for transforming Peoria.

Ardis agrees. "It's too early to know the impact the prayer services will have on the community; but we are sowing seeds for eternity, not just the short-term."

*Black is director of communications for the Illinois Great Rivers Conference.

News media contact: Fran Coode Walsh, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.