From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

LDR Begins Next Phase of Disaster Response along U.S. Gulf Coast

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:40:09 -0600

Title: LDR Begins Next Phase of Disaster Response along U.S. Gulf Coast ELCA NEWS SERVICE

January 25, 2008

LDR Begins Next Phase of Disaster Response along U.S. Gulf Coast 08-005-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- This spring Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR) will move into its next phase of recovery work along the U.S. Gulf Coast. LDR will support the work of local "long-term recovery committees" that will serve the needs of people and restore communities devastated by Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma along the Gulf Coast.

This is a normal transition in all disaster recovery work, according to the Rev. Kevin A. Massey, acting director, Lutheran Disaster Response -- a collaborative ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod.

Massey said the transition to supporting the efforts of locally organized committees usually happens earlier in the process, but the "unprecedented nature of the 2005 hurricanes called for action far different from what is normal for our organization and our many partners."

The traditional style of disaster response is a collaborative concept of locally operated, long-term recovery committees, "a model that has served communities historically and recently in places like Rushford, Minn., Findlay, Ohio, and Northwood, N.D.," said Massey. "As recovery along the Gulf Coast reaches a phase where work must continue with ever-diminishing resources we are preparing, along with many of our partner organizations, to gradually transition to this model over the coming months."

Long-term recovery committees are nonprofit organizations that serve as headquarters for continued disaster response along the Gulf Coast. They will bring together local leaders, such as pastors and LDR coordinators, to contribute resources to a wider group and broaden their influence on community restoration, said Massey.

"For a Lutheran volunteer, it means working side-by-side with volunteers from other faith groups and community groups under the umbrella of a collaborative community effort. Be assured that support in the form of volunteers and financial contributions will be needed along the Gulf Coast for many years to come," he said.

To support these local disaster response initiatives, the ELCA World Hunger and Disaster Appeal will issue an appeal for more funds in February.

Through the appeal, LDR "will be able to shift (its) emphasis from independent operations and begin to make key investments in the formation and activity of local long-term recovery committees along the Gulf Coast. When Hurricane Katrina first struck, the generosity of the Lutheran response was overwhelming. Now we hope you will join us in a renewed commitment to our sisters and brothers who remain in great need," Massey said.

Soon after Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma struck the Gulf Coast in 2005, Lutherans gave more than $27 million to support relief and recovery operations. LDR coordinated the work of 36,000 volunteers who gave more than 1.6 million hours in gutting out and repairing more than 10,000 homes. Of the volunteers, more than 2,000 were college and university students who volunteered under the "What a Relief!" alternative spring break effort.

Katrina Aid Today

LDR received more than $7 million through "Katrina Aid Today" -- a national case management consortium administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the United Methodist Committee on Relief. The consortium's work will end March 31.

Through Katrina Aid Today, Lutheran Disaster Response case workers helped more than 11,000 families gain access to more than $20 million in assistance, said Massey. LDR met and surpassed its goal in case management work through the consortium, he said.

"We are so very proud of the work that Lutheran Disaster Response affiliates have accomplished through this program, and we are honored to have been one of nine national partners in the consortium," Massey said.

DOMESTIC DISASTERS:

Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds to aid survivors of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, please include: ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, P.O. Box 71764, Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764 Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522 Credit card gifts via Internet: http://www.ELCA.org/disaster

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog