From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CRC News: Staff in Kenya Safe But Unable To Work

From "Henry Hess" <hessh@crcna.ca>
Date Tue, 5 Feb 2008 12:28:54 -0500

Feb. 5, 2008, Grand Rapids, Mich. - Christian Reformed Church staff in Kenya are safe, but most of their relief and development efforts have come to a halt or been cut back because of the violence that has engulfed the East African nation following a disputed presidential election.

CRC workers say they are not venturing very far from their homes. And they are praying hard for friends and colleagues who have been caught up in the chaos in which more than 1,000 people have been killed, more than 300,000 have been displaced, and many businesses and homes have been destroyed.

"Over 10 members of the business affiliates we support have either had their businesses vandalized and looted or burned down. One member has lost his life," says Martin Mutuku, who works in Kenya as a partnership manager for Partners Worldwide, a business development ministry affiliated with the CRC.

"In response to the crisis, we are seeking to implement immediate relief efforts that we will need to put into place to assist affected business affiliates recovery through some grants and interest-free loans," says Mutuku.

The CRC's Event Response Team (ERT), set up to monitor the situation in Kenya, reported Tuesday that staff appreciate the many messages of support and prayer that have been offered for them and for the people of Kenya.

"We encourage prayer and advocacy to continue for the political talks ... Pray also that the Christian testimony can be enhanced in all of this," the ERT says in a written report.

The trouble that has beset Kenya began late last year after President Mwai Kibaki was declared the winner of the presidential election. Raila Odinga, the challenger, charged that the election was rigged and has refused to concede defeat.

Confronted by wreckage, death and an increasing sense of hopelessness, CRC staff say they have had to cut back on the work that they do until tensions ease.

"In the community health program here, we have not gone out to see anyone for a month," says Alida Fernhout, a Christian Reformed World Relief employee and nurse who is based near Eldoret, the scene of some of the worst bloodshed.

"Essentially it has been too risky to drive in the field and my colleague has been concerned that our vehicle will be set ablaze," Fernhout says. "The local police station and chief's office were burned down about 10 days ago and the local chief has been trying to mediate between angry neighbors."

ERT officials say they are hopeful that Kenya's political leaders will come to an agreement on a four-point settlement proposed by Kofi Annan, the former United Nations secretary-general who is trying to broker a peace accord.

These points include:

* Stopping the violence and restoring fundamental rights and liberties * Addressing the humanitarian crisis and promoting reconciliation and healing * Determining how to resolve the political crisis * Discussing long-term issues and solutions.

Davis Omanyo, the CRC's director in Eastern and Southern Africa, says in a recent newsletter that when fighting broke out in early January, he had to flee from Eldoret with his wife and children to a safer part of Kenya. On the way, they were constantly threatened and had to pass through dozens of checkpoints, many of them manned by youths who were armed with machetes, arrows, spears, and a few guns.

"After reaching our home in Busia, we knelt down and thanked God for keeping us safe in his hands," Omanyo writes.

In terms of travel to and within Kenya, essential staff currently in Kenya and relief program personnel are provided clearance for travel. Volunteers, visitors and others involved in non-essential activity are advised not to plan for travel during this week, the ERT says.

The Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC) has five full-time staff in Kenya. The country is also the base for the CRWRC's HIV/AIDS coordinator for the East/South African region. Partners Worldwide, a CRC business-development ministry, also has a staff person in Kenya.

To donate to the Kenya relief response, mark donations "Kenya Conflict" and mail to CRWRC, 3475 Mainway, PO Box 5070, STN LCD 1, Burlington, ON, L7R 3Y8 or to CRWRC, 2850 Kalamazoo Avenue, Grand Rapids, MI, 49560. Donate online at www.crwrc.org. In Canada, call 1-800-730-3490. In the U.S., call 616-241-1691 or 1-800-55-CRWRC. Email: crwrc@crcna.org.

.

-By Chris Meehan, CRC Communications

Henry Hess

Director of Communication