From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Dominican Republic, Haiti dioceses explore mutual ministry at mission dialogue conference

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:58:09 -0500

Episcopal Life Daily February 29, 2008

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, HAITI: Dioceses explore mutual ministry at mission dialogue conference * DIOCESAN DIGEST - KENTUCKY: Convention looks toward Lambeth * WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Primate delivers video message on Church unity * WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Coventry's 'Cross of Nails' comes to Anglican Communion chapel * TEACHING - Marvin Ellison to teach June course at Episcopal Divinity School * MULTIMEDIA - Video Stream: The Rev. Harold T. Lewis presents 'A Church for the Future' * OPINION - COMMENTARY: The voice of God inside my head * ARTS - Writer strips the Gospels to leave only Jesus' words * DAYBOOK - March 3, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History * CATALYST - Angels in Africa: Profiles of Seven Extraordinary Women

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, HAITI: Dioceses explore mutual ministry at mission dialogue conference http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_95343_ENG_HTM.htm

KENTUCKY: Convention looks toward Lambeth

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_95350_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

CANADA: Primate delivers video message on Church unity http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_95342_ENG_HTM.htm

ENGLAND: Coventry's 'Cross of Nails' comes to Anglican Communion chapel http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_95354_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

TEACHING

Marvin Ellison to teach June course at Episcopal Divinity School

[Episcopal Divinity School] Dr. Marvin Ellison, Bass Professor of Christian Ethics at Bangor Theological Seminary in Maine, will teach a June term course at Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. "Sexuality and the Social Order" will offer a critical examination of personal and social dimensions of human sexuality, investigation into the meaning of sexual justice for church and society, and an opportunity to frame a constructive social ethic of sexuality for "keeping body and soul together" during these times. This course is offered from June 16-27.

"We are delighted to have Professor Marvin Ellison teach in our second June term at EDS," said the Rev. Dr. Sheryl Kujawa-Holbrook, EDS' academic dean. "Professor Ellison has been a long-time friend of the school, and has guest lectured in courses on social ethics and queer theologies for the past several years. A widely published authority on ethics and human sexuality, he has also worked in the field of reproductive ethics, economic justice, and same-sex unions. A remarkable teacher, it is our hope that current EDS students, as well as ministers-in-the-vicinity, and people interested in this topic will participate in this educational opportunity."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_95358_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

MULTIMEDIA

The Rev. Harold T. Lewis presents 'A Church for the Future'

[Episcopal Life] The Rev. Harold T. Lewis, rector of Calvary Episcopal Church in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and former staff officer for the Office of Black Ministries, presents his book, A Church for the Future: South Africa as the Crucible for Anglicanism in a New Century. The presentation, which formed part of a February 8 book signing at Catalyst Café and Books in New York City, is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

OPINION

COMMENTARY: The voice of God inside my head

By Phyllis Zagano

[Religion News Service] Are all saints crazy? Or, do you have to be crazy to be a saint?

Joy Behar, a panelist on ABC's "The View," said potential saints are medicated out of a job. "I have a theory," she said, "that you can't find any saints any more because of psychotropic medication.

"I think that in the old days the saints were hearing voices, and they didn't have any Thorazine to calm them down." Behar continued. "Now that we have all this medication available to us, you can't find a saint anymore."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_95347_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

ARTS

Writer strips the Gospels to leave only Jesus' words

By Martha Baker

THE WORDS OF JESUS A Gospel of the Sayings of Our Lord By Phyllis Tickle Jossey-Bass/Wiley, $22.95, 208 pp.

[Episcopal Life] When Phyllis Tickle accepts the challenge to sort through the sayings of Jesus in the four New Testament gospels, she is not prepared for what she finds. She thought she was prepared: after all, she is a scholar, a woman who studies about religion for her living. For two years, she teased apart the words of Jesus, the parts printed in red letters in some editions of the Bible, in order to reweave them into whole cloth.

The work begun in intellectual curiosity resulted in a wrestling match of Jacobean proportions. Tickle, founding editor of the religion department at Publishers Weekly, memoirist, and author of The Diving Hours series of prayer manuals, ended up "with new perceptions about what it is to be both Christian and a self at the same time." Profound.

The Words of Jesus falls into two parts. In "Reflections on the Words of Jesus," Tickle encourages readers of the second half, "The Words of Jesus," to "explore what the Sayings mean to them...[f]or it is in the engagement and the pondering and the discovery that faith finds its proper exercise." Tickle breaks the Sayings into five parts, including The Words of Public Teaching...of Private Instruction, and?of Post-Resurrection Encounters.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_95345_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

DAYBOOK

On March 3, 2008, the Church calendar remembers John and Charles Wesley, priests.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On March 3, 1883, Leighton George Hayne, hymnist, died.

CATALYST

Catalyst: "Angels in Africa: Profiles of Seven Extraordinary Women" from Harry N. Abrams, Inc., by Beth O'Donnell & Kimberly Sevcik, 192 pages, hardcover, c. 2006, $35

[Source: Harry N. Abrams, Inc.] This arresting and important volume documents seven African women working to overcome devastating problems in their communities. Through dazzling photographs and first-person accounts, their stories reveal the strength of the human spirit: a Tutsi woman brings together Hutu and Tutsi widows of Rwanda's genocide; a South African teacher's mentoring program keeps children in school; a Ugandan nun leads a dance troupe of AIDS orphans; a former teacher in Mozambique set up farming collectives to help peasants feed their families. The world is focused on the many crises Africa faces -- Angels in Africa is a positive look at how individuals can foster real change.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm