From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Task Force Considers Topics for a Study Guide on Genetics

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:44:02 -0600

Title: ELCA Task Force Considers Topics for a Study Guide on Genetics ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 3, 2008

ELCA Task Force Considers Topics for a Study Guide on Genetics 08-022-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- From discussing the latest in molecular biology to the use of genetically modified organisms, 18 members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Task Force on Genetics met here Feb. 22-23 to share scientific and theological information as they work toward creating a study on genetics for the church. The study is expected to be available Nov. 1.

The purpose of the meeting was "to continue information- gathering and provide a basic framework for what we think should be included in a study on genetics," said Janet Williams, genetic counselor, Clinical Genetics Institute, Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, Utah, in an interview. Williams co-chairs the task force with Dr. Per Anderson, professor of religion, Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn. Concordia is one of 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA.

Members of the task force heard from one another about their respective areas of expertise in agriculture and land-based research, advocacy and public policy, ethics and theology, genetic and pastoral counseling, medical and behavioral science, race and cultural traditions.

"One of our challenges is to try to find a way to bring together concerns with human genetic issues and genetic issues related to plants and animals. We're in that process of trying to find overlapping issues and distinctive concerns that have to be addressed if we're going to do right by both topics, which we're committed to doing," said Anderson.

There's "a lot of commitment to moving the church's work on moral deliberation forward. This is hopefully a piece that will serve the larger goal of creating a community of moral deliberation" around genetics, said Anderson.

"We believe we're dealing with a vast topic, a new topic and a very complex topic. I think our main task is to allow the church to engage in that, overcome the fear that people (may) have with things they don't know, learn to respect the amazing uncertainty and complexity of (genetic) issues as they are experienced by scientists, and think about how we responsibly respond as a society. Everyone agrees that science is moving very quickly, and we have to participate as people of faith," Anderson said.

The 2005 ELCA Churchwide Assembly called for a social statement that speaks to "significant theological, ethical, public and pastoral challenges arising from developments in genetics." A task force was appointed in spring 2007 to develop a study guide on genetics for the church, and it has been instructed to develop a proposed social statement on genetics. The proposed social statement is expected to be presented to the 2011 ELCA Churchwide Assembly. - - -

Information about the ELCA Task Force on Genetics is at http://www.ELCA.org/socialstatements/genetics on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog