From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Disaster Response Nearly Completes $27.7 Million Expenditure

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:11:05 -0500

Title: Lutheran Disaster Response Nearly Completes $27.7 Million Expenditure ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 26, 2008

Lutheran Disaster Response Nearly Completes $27.7 Million Expenditure 08-034-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR) has nearly completed the expenditure of more than $27.7 million collected to support recovery work along the U.S. Gulf Coast in response to Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and other hurricanes from the 2005 season. And in an effort to continue rebuilding the Gulf Coast in the long-term, LDR -- a collaborative ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) -- is asking for more funds.

"We're thankful to everyone who contributed toward this work," and "we're proud of the accomplishments that we've reached with that money," said the Rev. Kevin A. Massey, LDR acting director.

With the funds collected more than 11,000 case management clients were served in eight different states, especially along the Gulf Coast, said Massey. He said the money also helped support more than 40,000 volunteers, whose contributions in hours volunteered far surpasses the money collected. "We've helped people directly with this money," he said.

Details on LDR expenditures

About $18.68 million was contributed by members of the ELCA and LCMS in designated giving from 2005 to 2007, according to Massey. Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, Minneapolis, matched the funds with more than $9.03 million for a total of more than $27.7 million.

The funds contributed were dispersed in three primary ways -- grants to Lutheran social ministry organizations and agencies, which serve the needs of people affected by disaster; grants to non-affiliate partners, such as other faith-based organizations that work in cooperation with Lutherans in rebuilding after disasters; and administrative expenses, for hiring consultants, chaplains and others who provide expertise in disaster response.

Total expenses were:

+ In 2005, LDR granted about $8.25 million to Lutheran social ministry organizations and $366,699 to non-affiliate partners. LDR spent $132,635 for administrative expenses. + In 2006, LDR dispersed more than $7.78 million to Lutheran social ministries and $216,285 to non-affiliates. LDR spent $214,000 for administrative expenses. + In 2007, LDR granted more than $8.37 to Lutheran social services and $30,000 to non-affiliate partners. LDR spent $47,716 for administrative expenses.

At the start of 2008, more than $2.27 million remained with LDR from the $27.7 million. The remaining balance has been carried forward to continue the Lutheran response efforts along the Gulf Coast.

"The accomplishments of Lutheran Disaster Response are only one part of the disaster response that Lutherans have done," said Massey. "I would especially like to highlight the ministry and service of Lutheran congregations and pastors along the Gulf Coast. They've done wonderful work serving their neighborhoods and communities, (from) places like New Orleans to Biloxi, Miss. They continue to do wonderful ministry that we as a church should be very proud of and need to publicly uplift," he said.

A key component of LDR as it moves further into long-term recovery is to uplift "and support the ministries of pastors and congregations" along the U.S. Gulf Coast, Massey said.

Katrina Aid Today

In addition to the $27.7 million collected, LDR received more than $7 million through "Katrina Aid Today" -- a national case management consortium administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the United Methodist Committee on Relief. LDR met and surpassed its goal in case management work through the consortium, Massey said. The consortium's work will end March 31.

A new campaign for funds

This spring LDR will shift its disaster response operation to support the work of local "long-term recovery committees" that will continue to serve the needs of people and restore communities devastated by the 2005 hurricanes. Massey said this is a "normal transition in all disaster recovery work" and one that will require more funds.

"As vast as the money was, we knew that it was never going to last forever. And, we're now moving our work into other ways that will have a greater impact in the long-term recovery of the Gulf Coast. We've made these transitions to be able to have a significant impact for years to come," he said.

"We're committed to being involved in the Gulf Coast recovery for the long-term recovery phase, so we're also now asking people who were generous in the beginning to consider remembering the Gulf in other keys ways. As much as we've been able to do, it really has been only a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed in the Gulf right now," said Massey.

"I encourage anyone who has not yet visited the Gulf to consider going and volunteering. You need to see for yourself the incredible need that still exists all along the Gulf, from Port Arthur, Texas, to all the way past Mobile, Alabama. Everyone who has seen the Gulf knows that the needs are immense and will be immense for years to come. So, I encourage anyone who has seen the Gulf to remember the people of the Gulf in your prayers, encourage people to volunteer or to give and help in anyway they can," Massey said. - - -

Information about Lutheran Disaster Response is available at http://www.ldr.org on the Web.

Audio of Massey's comments is at

http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080325.mp3 on the ELCA Web site.

DOMESTIC DISASTERS:

Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds to aid survivors of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, please include:

ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, P.O. Box 71764, Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764 Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522 Credit card gifts via Internet: http://www.ELCA.org/disaster

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog