From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Katherine Haley Will resigns as president of ELCA's Gettysburg College

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:37:34 -0500

ELCA News Blog

March 27, 2008

Katherine Haley Will resigns as president of ELCA's Gettysburg College

by Frank Imhoff, ELCA News Service

Dr. Katherine Haley Will announced March 25 she will resign as president of Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pa., at the end of the 2007-2008 academic year. Will became the college's 13th president in 2004, after five years as president of Whittier College, Los Angeles. Gettysburg is one of 28 colleges and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

Will's husband, Dr. Oscar Henry Will III, became editor of Grit magazine in Topeka, Kan. "He has been so supportive of my career over the past decade that of course I wholeheartedly supported his move, but we have found that being so far away from one other is difficult, and the travel back and forth has been a strain," she said. Will helped Gettysburg develop a long-term campus facilities master plan. "I feel very good that we have a compelling new strategic direction in place that will guide the campaign and a strong senior staff to implement it," she said. "This is the most advantageous time for the college to secure a new leader who will lead the campaign and see it through to completion."

The Gettysburg board of trustees named Dr. Janet Morgan Riggs, provost, to serve as interim president until a national search for the college's 14th president is completed. "The college is fortunate to have in place an exceptional leadership team," said James M. Weaver, chair, board of trustees. "We are all confident that Provost Janet Riggs will be an outstanding interim president," Will said.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog