From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: National Ministries Names Fela Barrueto As Interim Liason To Hispanic And Portuguese-Speakin

From "Jayne, Andy" <Andy.Jayne@abc-usa.org>
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:30:08 -0400

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 03/27/08) - National Ministries' executive director, Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III, today announced the appointment of Fela Barrueto as the interim liaison to American Baptist Hispanic and Portuguese-speaking churches. Barrueto's appointment fills a vacancy left by the death of the Rev. Pablo Calzoncit, formerly National Ministries' national coordinator of Hispanic and Portuguese-speaking Ministries. Citing Barrueto's years of experience and commitment to ministry, Wright-Riggins said:

"Fela Barrueto brings a deep and abiding commitment to Jesus Christ and to the American Baptist family. She brings both a bi-cultural and bi-lingual competency to this work as well as a gift for critical listening. We are pleased that she is returning to serve in this capacity after years of preparing for and engaging in local church and institutional ministry. We are confident in her ability to bridge our continuing commitment to Hispanic and Portuguese-speaking ministries as she helps us to prepare the way for the next permanent national coordinator."

In her new position, Barrueto will direct the resources of National Ministries in responding to the needs of Hispanic and Portuguese-speaking churches. "My goal is to create bridges to re-connect and re-establish communication with this important constituency," Barrueto said. "In addition, I will help identify current needs in the Hispanic and Portuguese-speaking churches."

A native of Peru, Barrueto came to National Ministries in 1996. She worked in various administrative support positions, including the NEW LIFE 2010 initiative and Hispanic and Portuguese-speaking ministries, while attending Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Barrueto earned a master's degree in Theological Studies from Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Barrueto was formerly the director of Hispanic Ministries at Calvary Baptist Church in Norristown, Pa. In 2003, she received an award from the Philadelphia Baptist Association in recognition of her work in evangelism and community outreach at Calvary Baptist. Barrueto serves as associate pastor for Spiritual Formation at Iglesia Bautista de la Comunidad in Queens.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/