From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Ecumenical, Interfaith Work Enters New Phase

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:35:06 -0500

Title: ELCA Ecumenical, Interfaith Work Enters New Phase ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 11, 2008

ELCA Ecumenical, Interfaith Work Enters New Phase 08-044-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Ecumenical and interfaith relationships are significant ministries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), which maintains full communion agreements with five Protestant churches and the possibility of another in 17 months. With new leadership in its churchwide ecumenical and interfaith section, the ELCA -- often described as a "bridge" church seeking to build connections with other Christian churches -- is assessing where it wants to go now and in the future.

Since the late 1990s the ELCA has been in full communion with the Episcopal Church, Moravian Church in America, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Reformed Church in America and the United Church of Christ. This month, the United Methodist Church General Conference will vote on a full communion proposal with the ELCA. If adopted, the 2009 ELCA Churchwide Assembly is expected to take up the same proposal.

Full communion means the churches will work for visible unity in Jesus Christ, recognize each other's ministries, work together on a variety of ministry initiatives, and, under certain circumstances, provide for the interchangeability of professional leaders. Understanding each other's ministry has been an important part of the early "nurturing" of full communion relationships, said the Rev. Donald J. McCoid, executive director, ELCA Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Relations.

"The ELCA has had a vision that continues to evolve," he said in an interview with the ELCA News Service. "I think we're entering into another phase where we need to look at things we have done together (that) can be affirmed and what things we can yet do. (Those) are in the area of outreach, ministry, education, mission planning, cooperation ... there are just endless possibilities."

Earlier this year McCoid and the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, acting in his role as the ELCA chief ecumenical officer, called together a variety of Lutheran academics, bishops, pastors, lay leaders and staff to assess what the ELCA has accomplished and to offer advice on future ecumenical and interfaith directions.

The leaders discussed funding concerns, educational initiatives, relationships with Christian churches, interfaith relationships, participation in various ecumenical and interfaith councils and organizations, future directions and theological dialogues. They also discussed planning for significant events such as the 10th anniversary in 2009 of the signing of the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification by representatives of the Lutheran World Federation and the Vatican, and the 500th anniversary in 2017 of the beginnings of the Protestant Reformation.

The ELCA's work in ecumenical, and more recently interfaith, circles, is guided by a document adopted by the 1991 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, "A Declaration of Ecumenical Commitment: A Policy Statement of the ELCA," which committed the ELCA "to pursue the goal of full communion." Also guiding the church's ecumenical and interfaith ministry is a strategic direction of the ELCA churchwide organization, which commits it to "deepen and extend global, ecumenical and interfaith relationships."

Consultation participants evaluated participation in councils, bilateral dialogues, "and tried to justify why such work should continue," McCoid said. Generally the advisors recommended the church continue with theological conversations, bilateral discussions and involvement within councils, McCoid said, "but we do so with the idea that it's all right to look at the rationale for why we are doing this, and the areas of concern that exist."

"A foremost challenge" for the ELCA is to move from Churchwide Assembly actions on full communion to "ecumenical reception," said the Rev. William G. Rusch, lecturer in Lutheran church history and polity, Yale Divinity School, New Haven, Conn. Rusch is also former executive director, ELCA Department for Ecumenical Affairs, and was a consultation participant.

"Is the ELCA with its partners really prepared to make these decisions a part of its faith and life, especially as it struggles with ethical decisions that will impact its own life?" he asked. Rusch also said the ELCA cannot at the same time be in dialogue and full communion with everyone. "It is not a case that some are more important than others, but given the limits of resources what is possible? I have confidence that this can and will be done with the present leadership," Rusch said.

Challenges for ELCA ecumenical and interfaith work are to keep up momentum without losing focus and "be clear why we are doing what we are doing (and) how it relates to our mission as the ELCA," said the Rev. Jessica R. Crist, bishop, ELCA Montana Synod, Great Falls, and consultation participant.

"I would hope that we would deepen existing relationships, and continue to establish new ones," Crist added. "We can be in full communion with some groups and in cautious conversation with others. Ecumenical and interfaith relations is not a specialized ministry. It is the blueprint for living in God's world."

The Rev. Scott G. Cady, Manchester, Conn., is president of the Lutheran Ecumenical Representatives Network, consisting of appointed lay members and clergy who carry out ecumenical activity in their synods. He agreed that developing focus and communicating a vision to members are challenges for ecumenical and interfaith work.

"If our seminaries and candidacy committees and call committees make ecumenical (and) interreligious work part of their routine expectation, we may see a renewed effect all through the church," Cady said.

---

Information about ELCA Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Relations is at http://www.ELCA.org/ecumenical/ on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog