From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Oregon diocese names Sanford Hampton as assisting bishop / House of Bishops will not meet in M

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:55:57 -0400

Episcopal Life Daily April 16, 2008

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Oregon diocese names Sanford Hampton as assisting bishop * TOP STORY - House of Bishops will not meet in May; poll results guide decision * MULTIMEDIA - Video Stream: The Rev. Paul Zahl * WEEKS AHEAD - Upcoming special events and services * SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - Fifth Sunday of Easter - Year A [RCL] * DAYBOOK - April 17, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History * CATALYST - Acts for Everyone, Part Two

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Oregon diocese names Sanford Hampton as assisting bishop

By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The Rt. Rev. Sanford Hampton will begin serving as assisting bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon on Friday, April 18, according to Mary Cramer, president of the eight-member diocesan standing committee.

"We want him to have a very strong pastoral presence in the diocese and I think his background and his personality lend him to do that beautifully," Cramer said.

"Bishop Hampton will be in our diocese a couple of weeks each month," she added. "His primary responsibilities will be for that all-important 'pastoral presence' with visitations, confirmations, ordinations, relationship with clergy and laity, and clergy supervision as duties."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_96506_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

House of Bishops will not meet in May; poll results guide decision

[Episcopal News Service] After a poll of its membership, the House of Bishops will not convene for a suggested special meeting in May, the canon to the Presiding Bishop announced April 16.

"After receiving a large number of responses to our poll regarding the need for a May meeting of the House, we can confirm from the results that there will not be a meeting in May," the Rev. Canon Charles Robertson wrote in an April 16 letter to the bishops.

Among "all who were in attendance at Camp Allen" when the bishops last met March 7-12 "there was no clear sense from the House at that time that such a [May] meeting would be necessary," Robertson wrote. "This is the reason the poll was suggested.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_96495_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

_____________________

MULTIMEDIA

Video Stream: The Rev. Paul Zahl

[Episcopal Life] The Rev. Dr. Paul F.M. Zahl, rector of All Saints Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase, Maryland, speaks about his latest book, Grace in Practice: A Theology of Everyday Life, at an April 4 book signing at the Catalyst Café and Books in New York City.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WEEKS AHEAD

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_1669_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

Fifth Sunday of Easter - Year A [RCL]

Acts 7:55-60; Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16; 1 Peter 2:2-10; John 14:1-14

By Joseph S. Pagano

[Sermons That Work] What is a home? When you think of the word or image or idea of a home, what comes to mind? Perhaps you think of a building, made with wood and plaster, or brick and mortar. Perhaps you think of home as a shelter from the storm, a place of refuge. Perhaps when you hear the word "home," you think more of the hopes and dreams of the people who inhabit a home. A place where people build and share a life together. A place where husbands and wives and families share the hopes and hurts, and the joys and sorrows of life. Perhaps when you hear the word "home" you think of a place of solace and comfort. A place where you feel safe and whole. What do you think of when you hear the word "home"?

Some say home is where the heart is. Others say home is where you hang your hat. Robert Frost once wrote, "Home is the place, where when you have to go there, they have to take you in."

Somehow, someway, home has a special place in the human heart. It seems as though we are all longing for a place to call home. Many of you probably know the traditional folk song entitled "I Want to Go Home." If you're familiar with the version by Van Morrison, you can hear the lyrics in his growling voice singing, "I want to go home. I feel so broke up, Lord, that I want to go home." This is a song for every human heart. Whenever we feel lonely or abandoned, we want to go home. Whenever we are filled with doubt or despair, we want to go home. Whenever we feel cut loose or lost, we want to go home. "Lord, sometimes I feel so broke up, that I want to go home."

Full reflection: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82478_96468_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

DAYBOOK

On April 17...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On April 17, 1923, Alexander Charles Garrett became the 14th Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church.

CATALYST

"Acts for Everyone, Part Two" from Westminster John Knox Press, by N. T. Wright, 268 pages, paperback, c. 2008, $16.95 [Source: Westminster John Knox Press] Renowned scholar N.T. Wright brings us the latest volumes in his acclaimed For Everyone series of New Testament commentaries: Acts, part 2 (Chapters 13-28.) This brief guides offers a short passage of text, in Wright's own accessible translation, followed by a highly readable and thought-provoking discussion. Background information about the text, explanations about its meaning, and thoughts as to how it is relevant to our lives today are woven together seamlessly in Wright's gracious and inviting style. A glossary is provided at the back of the book to provide further explanation of less common words and phrases. This book is useful for Christian education classes for both youth and adults, as a preaching aid, in confirmation classes, and as a daily devotional.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm