From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - Washington Young Adults Prepare for National Conference ? July 10-13, 2008

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:55:50 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA 8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106 Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE April 16, 2008

Contact: Nikki Stephanopoulos

Washington Young Adults Prepare for National Conference ? July 10-13, 2008

Washington, DC: Young adults from the Washington-Baltimore Metropolitan area are working diligently to prepare for the 2008 Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America National Young Adult Conference, July 10-13, 2008 in Washington DC. This year's conference will be held in conjunction with the 39th Biennial Clergy-Laity Congress at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel. "Doers of the Word" will be the theme for the weekend, with Rev. Dn. John Chryssavgis, noted author and theologian, as the featured keynote speaker.

Throughout the weekend, young adults will have the opportunity to grow in their faith through fellowship, worship, workshops, and service. A "hands-on" outreach project at the L.B. Johnson Memorial Grove National Park on Saturday will give participants a chance to actively become "Doers of the Word." Workshops will be offered by noted Orthodox theologians and clergy from throughout our Archdiocese and will include the following titles: Your Role in the Church as a Young Adult: How To Be Doers of the Word; Bringing the Millennial Generation On-Line: Technology as a Tool in the Church; Ecology and the Parish: A YAL Ministry?

His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios will lead an open forum with young adults on Friday, as well as a Memorial Service on Saturday for our fallen heroes at Arlington National Cemetery. On Sunday afternoon, participants will also have the opportunity to sightsee in the culturally and historically rich city of Washington DC. Evening activities include a Chesapeake Bay Crab feast, a social night in exciting Northwest D.C., and a semi-formal Greek night, concluding with a Sunday night farewell cruise on the Potomac River.

Online registration, conference schedule, and additional information will be available soon at www.yal2008.org, or by contacting the Department of Youth and Young Adult Ministries at 646-519-6180. Register by May 11, 2008 to take advantage of the $99 Early Bird Rate which includes admission to all weekend events. See you in Washington DC for an unforgettable weekend in our Nation's capital! The Young Adult League is a ministry for young adults in our church ages 18 to 35.