From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC - World's Reformed churches asked to pray for Zimbabwe

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:57:33 -0700

World's Reformed churches asked to pray for Zimbabwe

Written by WARC release April 18, 2008

The general secretary of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) is calling on the worldwide Reformed family to pray for Zimbabwe on the occasion of its 28th Independence Day.

"The people of Zimbabwe have been suffering," said Setri Nyomi. "It is our prayer that Zimbabweans would be able to celebrate future independence days devoid of the political and economic hardships they are undergoing.

"It is our prayer that those who fought for justice would have the wisdom to let the democratic process take its course so that the will of the people in a free Zimbabwe will all be fulfilled.

"It has been three weeks since the general elections in Zimbabwe. It is mind boggling that the results have still not been released. This is a miscarriage of justice. Let us join our sisters and brothers in Zimbabwe in praying towards and working for justice to be done," Nyomi said.

Nyomi expressed gratitude for the work of churches in the region concerning the crisis in Zimbabwe and he urged all in the WARC family to heed the call of the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa (which has congregations in Zimbabwe) for prayers at this critical time.

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together 75 million Reformed Christians, including the UCC, in 214 churches in 107 countries - united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC's secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

The letter from the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa follows:

Dear Friends,

Today marks the 28th anniversary of the independence of Zimbabwe. This should be cause for celebration, but instead there is a deep sadness at what is going on in beloved Zimbabwe.

The once promising economy and infrastructure has virtually crumbled, there are a lot of human rights abuses and people are despairing.

The elections have come and gone, but we are yet to know what was the final tally in the Presidential poll. We join those who have been calling for the release of the election results; otherwise the continued delay simply fuels frustration, suspicion and anger. We hope that the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission could assert itself and release the results without fear or favour.

We implore you to continue to pray for our sisters and brothers in Zimbabwe at this very difficult time. Yesterday I spoke to one of our ministers in Zimbabwe who simply said to me:

Please pray for our leaders to put people first and not their self-interest. We would also be glad if you could pray for us to not lose hope, because if we lose hope then we are finished.

I offer you this prayer request as you lift the country of Zimbabwe before God our creator and redeemer.

Meanwhile we continue to stand in critical solidarity with our ministers and local churches in Zimbabwe. We are also in negotiations with a sister denomination and a Non-Governmental Organization in Zimbabwe to find out ways of assisting the very poor and sick through the distribution of food.

Grace and Peace from our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!

Yours in Christ,

The Rev. Dr. M. P. Dibeela General Secretary United Congregational Church of Southern Africa