From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Colonial legacies, Anglican identities addressed at pioneering conference in Manchester / Send

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 6 May 2008 05:58:52 -0400

Episcopal Life Daily May 5, 2008

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Colonial legacies, Anglican identities addressed at pioneering conference in Manchester * TOP STORY - Send Middle East peace message to President Bush, EPPN urges * DIOCESAN DIGEST - BETHLEHEM: Bishop releases 'Messages in the Mall' * DIOCESAN DIGEST - IDAHO: Bishop nominees announced; June electing convention set * WORLD REPORT - MYANMAR: ERD responds to Cyclone Nargis in Burma * MISSION - Everyone, Everywhere world mission conference an opportunity to learn, share, celebrate * MULTIMEDIA - Video: Ministering on the Indian reservations of South Dakota * FEATURE - Blending traditions: Liturgies combine English and Diné languages, songs and prayers * DAYBOOK - May 6, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History * CATALYST - The God Box

_____________________

TOP STORIES

Colonial legacies, Anglican identities addressed at pioneering conference in Manchester

By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service, Manchester, England] Conversations about postcolonialism and the cultural and religious identities that have been shaped by the colonial past have seldom found their way onto the agendas of the Anglican Communion's main councils and Instruments of Communion.

An international group of scholars in colonial theory and Anglican history, that gathered May 1-2 for lectures and discussions at the University of Manchester's Lincoln Theological Institute, is intent on breaking that trend, saying such discussions are long overdue.

"Church, Identity/ies and Postcolonialism," said to be the first conference of its kind in the United Kingdom, was divided into two parts over two days, the first addressing colonial legacies and the second exploring what the postcolonial future might entail. The conference was intended as an opportunity to broaden, if not ignite, the postcolonial conversation in the Anglican Communion, said the Rev. Joe Duggan, a priest from the Diocese of Los Angeles and a doctoral research student at the Lincoln Theological Institute.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_96871_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Send Middle East peace message to President Bush, EPPN urges

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Public Policy Network (EPPN) is urging citizens throughout the United States to write President George W. Bush, ahead of his May 13-18 visit the Middle East, emphasizing the need for "robust diplomatic leadership to create a climate in which negotiations for the establishment of a viable State of Palestine alongside a secure Israel can continue and yield substantive progress."

To write to President Bush today, visit http://episcopal.grassroots.com.

A recent EPPN alert, which is emailed to more than 21,000 Episcopalians, recognizes that the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict "brings continuing pain to both Palestinians and Israelis and destabilizes the region."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_96867_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

_____________________

DIOCESAN DIGEST

BETHLEHEM: Bishop releases 'Messages in the Mall' http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_96870_ENG_HTM.htm

IDAHO: Bishop nominees announced; June electing convention set http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_96884_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

MYANMAR: ERD responds to Cyclone Nargis in Burma http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_96881_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

MISSION

Everyone, Everywhere world mission conference to offer opportunity to learn, share, celebrate

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopalians active in global mission work will gather at the church-wide world mission conference, Everyone, Everywhere, June 5-8 at The Conference Center at the Maritime Institute near Baltimore, Maryland. Representing more than 60 dioceses of The Episcopal Church and six provinces of the Anglican Communion, attendees will have the opportunity to worship together, tell their mission stories, learn effective ways to build relationships throughout the world, and share mission interests and experiences.

"I look forward with eager anticipation to both attending and participating in the Everyone, Everywhere conference," says Episcopal missionary and author the Rev. Paul-Gordon Chandler, one of the conference plenary speakers. "Perhaps never before has the Episcopal Church assembled such a broad-ranging and thorough forum on ministry to the world in which we serve. My hope is that it will inspire and encourage many throughout the church to discover natural and creative ways to be a part of 'God's Global Mosaic.'"

In addition to Chandler, who will address the topic of "The Church and Islam," other plenary speakers include South African theologian Dr. Steve de Gruchy, speaking on the topic of "Engaging in Effective Global Mission," and Anglican Observer at the United Nations Hellen Wangusa, on "Beyond the Millennium Development Goals."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_96875_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

MULTIMEDIA

Ministering on the Indian reservations of South Dakota Part 1

[Episcopal News Service] House of Deputies President Bonnie Anderson tells of her experience during a recent three-day visit to the Crow Creek and Lower Brule reservations in the Episcopal Diocese of South Dakota with Bishop Creighton Robertson.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Ministering on the Indian reservations of South Dakota Part 2

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal Diocese of South Dakota Bishop Creighton Robertson discusses the joys and challenges of ministry in a place that includes the poorest county in the United States.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

FEATURES

Blending traditions

Liturgies combine English and Diné languages, songs and prayers

By Maggie Morris Brown

[Episcopal Life] At the Good Shepherd Mission, also known as Church of the Good Shepherd, we merge the gospel with our Diné traditional belief.

We believe that, in many instances, Christian teachings and our Diné traditional teachings are similar. My grandmother (who was a medicine woman, performed the Beauty Way Ceremony for restoring good health, happiness and harmony in one's life) instilled in me the belief that, whether we pray in a traditional way or a Christian way, we all pray to the same God. There is no other God, but one.

Our Diné traditional ceremony was given to us as Diné, and other Natives were given their own way to pray to the one God we all serve.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81834_96868_ENG_HTM.htm

More Features: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78936_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

DAYBOOK

On May 6, 2008...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On May 6, 1704, non-Anglicans were excluded from membership in South Carolina's assembly.

CATALYST

"The God Box" from Simon & Schuster, Inc., by Alex Sanchez, 248 pages, hardcover, c. 2007, $16.99

[Simon & Schuster, Inc.] How could I choose between my sexuality and my spirituality, two of the most important parts that made me whole?

High school senior Paul has dated Angie since middle school, and they're good together. They have a lot of the same interests, like singing in their church choir and being active in Bible club. But when Manuel transfers to their school, Paul has to rethink his life. Manuel is the first openly gay teen anyone in their small town has ever met, and yet he says he's also a committed Christian. Talking to Manuel makes Paul reconsider thoughts he has kept hidden, and listening to Manuel's interpretation of Biblical passages on homosexuality causes Paul to reevaluate everything he believed. Manuel's outspokenness triggers dramatic consequences at school, culminating in a terrifying situation that leads Paul to take a stand.

Lambda Literary Award-winning author Alex Sanchez tackles a subject ripped from the headlines in this exciting and thought-provoking exploration of what it means to be both religious and gay.

"Alex Sanchez evokes the crucifying experience of adolescents wrestling with their sexual identity and their identity as Christians. This book is a gift not just to teenagers, but to those who love and work with them." Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm