From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] God uses beauty to stir people to action, Anderson tells Missouri Flower Festival / Maine cons

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 6 May 2008 18:14:36 -0400

Episcopal Life Daily May 6, 2008

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - God uses beauty to stir people to action, Anderson tells Missouri Flower Festival * TOP STORY - Maine consecrates Stephen Lane as bishop coadjutor * TOP STORY - Archbishop of Canterbury, Pope Benedict discuss ecumenical, Muslim-Christian relations * WORLD REPORT - CANADA: Churches must share buildings with Niagara diocese, court rules * WORLD REPORT - CENTRAL AFRICA: Zimbabwe Anglicans face 'communist-style' persecution, says bishop * WORLD REPORT - MELANESIA: Reconciliation, peace-building focus of provincial consultation * MISSION - Imago Dei Middle School placed third in national competition for eco-friendly dream school * OPINION - No longer strangers: Meeting Jesus on the road and close to home * DAYBOOK - May 7, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History * CATALYST - Barclay's Guide to the New Testament

_____________________

TOP STORIES

God uses beauty to stir people to action, Anderson tells Missouri Flower Festival

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] House of Deputies President Bonnie Anderson told recent gatherings in Missouri that God gives creation stunning moments of beauty "to remind us what we are called to be in this world."

"We may think that God intends to paralyze us with unexpected beauty; instead God is shaking us up, stirring us up, and zapping us with truth and hope and beauty so that we don't lose sight of what God made us to be," Anderson said in the keynote sermon during the Christ Church Cathedral Flower Festival Eucharist in St. Louis May 3. "We are not to be paralyzed by the beauty of creation, but we are to be called more deeply and more profoundly into God's service by it."

The Flower Festival dates to 1890 after Missouri Botanical Garden founder Henry Shaw stipulated in his will that after his death an annual sermon be preached "on the wisdom and goodness of God as shown in the growth of flowers, fruits and other products of the vegetable kingdom."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_96894_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Maine consecrates Stephen Lane as bishop coadjutor

By Lisa B. Hamilton

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Diocese of Maine consecrated the Rev. Canon Stephen Taylor Lane as bishop coadjutor May 3 in Portland's Cathedral of St. Luke. Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori was the chief consecrator.

Lane, 58, began the service wearing in a simple white alb, but later donned vestments featuring Maine's evergreens and the ocean that defines its coast. The vestments were a gift from the Diocese of Rochester, where Lane served as canon for Deployment and Ministry Development prior to his election.

Rochester Bishop Jack M. McKelvey, Lane's former boss, preached during the service. "Stephen Lane always sees there's more meat on the bones if you pick at them," McKelvey said. "He will not take things at face value. He will always dig more deeply.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_96892_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Archbishop of Canterbury, Pope Benedict discuss ecumenical, Muslim-Christian relations

By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI held a private meeting with Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams at the Vatican May 5 to discuss ecumenical and Muslim-Christian relations.

During the 20-minute meeting, the Pope also talked about his recent visit to the United States, during which he celebrated a Mass attended by approximately 60,000 people at New York's Yankee Stadium. Williams described the meeting as "friendly and informal."

Accompanied by Roman Catholic Bishop Brian Farrell, secretary of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, Williams presented the Pope with several books, including "Loves' Redeeming Work: The Anglican Quest for Holiness."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_96885_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

_____________________

WORLD REPORT

CANADA: Churches must share buildings with Niagara diocese, court rules http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_96934_ENG_HTM.htm

CENTRAL AFRICA: Zimbabwe Anglicans face 'communist-style' persecution, says bishop http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_96912_ENG_HTM.htm

MELANESIA: Reconciliation, peace-building focus of provincial consultation http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_96906_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

MISSION

Imago Dei Middle School placed third in national competition for eco-friendly dream school

By Phina Borgeson

[Episcopal News Service] Students from Imago Dei Middle School in Tucson, Arizona, learned that they had placed third in the School of the Future Design Competition at the awards gala on May 2. The ceremony took place at the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C.

"When they announced that we got third place, I felt good," said Emilio Villatoro, 12, a sixth grader. "When they started to announce them, my heart was leaping fast."

Anthony Barcelo, 11, in fifth grade, and Adreanna Tapia, 12, in sixth grade, were also members of the team which had presented their design on April 30.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_96900_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

_____________________

OPINION

No longer strangers

Meeting Jesus on the road and close to home

By Katharine Jefferts Schori

[Episcopal Life] Note to readers: During recent visits in dioceses around the Church, Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori has offered reflections on spending Holy Week in the Holy Land. This focus is central in the sermon that the Presiding Bishop preached on April 4 at St. James by-the-Sea, La Jolla, California, while she visited the Diocese of San Diego. The text of her homily is reprinted here at the request of Episcopal Life.

- - - - -

I was in the Holy Land during this last Holy Week. When we were there, by chance we met Cindy and Craig Corrie, whose daughter Rachel was killed by a bulldozer in Gaza five years ago.

She was protesting the Israeli government's destruction of a Palestinian home. We heard over and over from Palestinian Christians about forced evictions and houses being demolished. The West Bank is occupied territory, controlled by Israel, and building permits are very difficult for Palestinians to obtain.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_96898_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

DAYBOOK

On May 7, 2008...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On May 7, 1577, Puritan meetings were forbidden by Elizabeth I of England.

CATALYST

"Barclay's Guide to the New Testament" from Westminster John Knox Press, by William Barclay, 351 pages, paperback, c. 2008, $19.95

[Westminster John Knox Press] From the pen of one of the world's most beloved Christian writers, this book-by-book guide ably and engagingly introduces beginners to the essential purpose and message of each New Testament writing. From the Gospels through Revelation, William Barclay paints a vivid picture of the circumstances that gave rise to each book, offering numerous illuminating insights into the meanings of key words and enabling his readers to discern and follow the central concerns of each text. Those who read this book will undoubtedly join the millions throughout the world who have grown to rely on Barclay's unparalleled gift for making the biblical texts come alive.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm