From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 208-Pastor preaches recovery from alcoholism, addictions

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 16:53:18 -0500

NOTE: Photographs and a video are available at http://umns.umc.org.

>By John Gordon*

ST. PAUL, Minn. (UMNS)--Adjusting his microphone, the Rev. Jo Campe
greets about 250 worshipers at Central Park United Methodist Recovery
Church.

"I'm an alcoholic. My name is Jo," Campe says to open Sunday morning
worship.

Campe can relate to many of the people sitting in the pews today. He's
walked the same path.

His transparency in sharing his own recovery journey, along with the
Gospel message of repentance, forgiveness and rebirth, are having an
impact. The church hosts meetings for a dozen 12-step recovery programs,
including those aimed at helping alcoholics, drug abusers and compulsive
gamblers. Campe holds a second recovery service at another United
Methodist church in nearby Minneapolis.

"This has been kind of a miraculous growth process," says Campe, known
to his congregation as Pastor Jo. "We stand back and kind of shake our
heads and think to ourselves that this is certainly a miracle."

Tom Demarrias joined the Central Park congregation after years of
battling alcoholism and living on the streets. He is now employed as a
truck driver and got married at the church three years ago.

"This church, it does a lot more than just provide a Sunday worship
service," says Demarrias. "It provides a new way of life."

>A rebirth

When Campe arrived at Central Park seven years ago, the downtown St.
Paul church had dwindled to 11 active members.

"They had kept the building open, primarily so they could have a place
to call home and be buried from," recalls Campe.

His original plan was to start an outreach to the surrounding business
community. Then during a breakfast before a worship service, someone
suggested holding a recovery worship service.

Attendance grew quickly and recovery became a full-time mission for the
church. Campe later took over and started a similar recovery service at
Wesley United Methodist Church in Minneapolis, with an average of 100
worshippers each Sunday.

Besides hosting the 12-step meetings, the churches sponsor Sober Jam
music programs and social events. Wesley hosts a feeding program for the
homeless. Campe also visits halfway houses and other recovery centers to
offer help and encouragement.

"The people that come to the Recovery Church come from a wide variance
of different types of addictions-all the way from drug and alcohol
addictions to sexual addictions, gambling addictions, eating addictions,
you name it," Campe says. "Most all of the people that are here are
either in some form of addiction themselves and working on a recovery
program, or are family members who are supportive."

Blackie, a Central Park church member who asked that only his first name
be used, says he was skeptical at first.

"I just stopped in for a visit, and I didn't plan on staying," he says.
"There was a good message and there were good people. It was someplace I
looked forward to go back to."

Blackie says he feels accepted at Central Park and likes the diversity
of the membership.

"(There are) not many places you can go and find a prostitute sitting
next to a judge," he says.

>Amazing grace

Campe's own recovery journey began 12 years ago when he was pastor of
one of the largest United Methodist churches in the region. He found
himself in the "throes of addiction" and seeking treatment.

"Almost every morning, I'd wake up in my in my morning devotions and
pray to Jesus Christ that He would solve my alcohol and drug addiction.
And then that night, ... after having used or wanting to use, (I)
realized that I hadn't been cured like I wanted to be," Campe says.

After going through a treatment program, Campe realized he needed to
make changes in his life. "My old life and the old patterns of my
behavior no longer worked," he says.

Recovery church members feel a special bond with Pastor Jo.

"I like coming Sundays just to be around other people just like myself.
And Pastor Jo has a great message, that's why I come," says St. Paul
resident Thomas Zachary. "(The) recovery community saved my life, so I
am trying to pay a debt that cannot be paid."

>Campe says many lives have been transformed.

"We have a saying here at Central Park and at Wesley that our main job
is to get out of God's way and to look for different ways that God can
provide for us what we can't do for ourselves," he says.

"Miracles walk in the door time after time. People's lives are saved."

*Gordon is a freelance producer in Marshall, Texas.

News media contact: Fran Coode Walsh, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470
or newsdesk@umcom.org.