From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Lambeth Conference will focus on equipping bishops for mission / GAFCON announces more than 1,

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 17 May 2008 03:33:50 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>May 16, 2008

>Episcopal Life Online is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Lambeth Conference will focus on equipping bishops for
mission
* TOP STORY - GAFCON announces more than 1,000 to join Jerusalem
pilgrimage
* TOP STORY - Californians React to Court Decision Legalizing Gay
Marriage
* PEOPLE - Albert Edward Allen of Oregon dies at 91
* ARTS - Florida artist's drawings take to high seas
* DAYBOOK - May 19, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Celebrating the Eucharist: A Practical Ceremonial Guide for
Clergy and Other Liturgical Ministers

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Lambeth Conference will focus on equipping bishops for mission

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] When the bishops of the Anglican Communion
convene in Canterbury this summer for the 2008 Lambeth Conference, they
will find a gathering differing in many ways from its predecessors and
one that is intended to strengthen their sense of a shared Anglican
identity and help to equip them for their roles as leaders in mission.

Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams has invited more than 800
bishops to attend the July 16-August 3 conference on the campus of the
University of Kent in southeast England. A separate conference for the
bishops' spouses will run concurrently.

Unlike previous conferences, the 2008 gathering will include fewer
plenary sessions, opting instead for smaller study groups where
the bishops can interact on a more personal level.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_97158_ENG_HTM.htm

This story is also featured in a bulletin insert for May 25, available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

GAFCON announces more than 1,000 to join Jerusalem pilgrimage

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] The Global Anglican Future Conference
(http://www.gafcon.org) (GAFCON), largely viewed as a rival to the 2008
Lambeth Conference (http://www.lambethconference.org/index.cfm), has
announced that more than 1,000 conservative Church leaders from 17
Anglican provinces have registered for the Jerusalem pilgrimage.

While GAFCON reports that participants at the June 22-29 pilgrimage
include 280 bishops, "final attendance figures will depend on smooth
processing of requested visas, and other factors," a recent news release
said. The conference is also expected to draw several former Episcopal
priests, some of whom are currently engaged in litigation concerning
Episcopal Church property.

"I wish to again stress that the Holy City is always an open city for
all pilgrims coming to our diocese to join with us in our servanthood
and witness," said Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem Suheil Dawani in a May
16 statement emailed to ENS. "Pilgrims are always warmly welcomed by our
diocesan family when coming in a spirit of mutuality in devotion,
reconciliation and goodwill that strengthens both the fabric of unity in
the larger Church and the interreligious communal collegiality among the
three Abrahamic Faiths that make Jerusalem their spiritual home."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_97140_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Californians React to Court Decision Legalizing Gay Marriage

>All Saints, Pasadena, to Host Sunday Forum

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The California State Supreme Court May 15
decision to legalize same gender marriages continued to spark mixed
reaction a day after announcement of the landmark decision.

Bishop Jon Bruno of Los Angeles called the decision an important one
"because it reflects our baptismal vow to 'strive for justice and peace
among all people and respect the dignity of every human being' and our
commitment to justice and mercy for all people.

"The Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles has been a leader in working for
the rights of all people in the State of California, and that work is
honored in today's ruling. The canons of our church, under "Rights of
the Laity" (Canon 1:17.5), forbid discrimination on the basis of race,
color, ethnic origin, national origin, marital status, sex, sexual
orientation, disabilities or age. We affirm equal rights for all.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_97139_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>Albert Edward Allen of Oregon dies at 91

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Albert Edward Allen, who served most
recently in Oregon, died on May 1 at his home in Portland. He was 91.

Allen served at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Canyon City, Oregon; St.
Mark's Church, Hood River, Oregon; St. Elizabeth's Church, Burien,
Washington; and Church of the Ascension, Twin Falls, Idaho. After his
retirement, he served in various places and roles in the Diocese of
Oregon, and was priest-in-residence at St. Bartholomew's Church,
Beaverton, from 1988 until his death.

Albert Allen was born in Woburn, Massachusetts on July 2, 1916. He died
of a cardiac arrest at his home in Portland on May 1, 2008.

FUll story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_97150_ENG_HTM.htm

More People news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

>Florida artist's drawings take to high seas

>By Jerry Hames

[Episcopal Life] While exhibiting her work at Art Basel, an
international art exhibition by galleries in Miami last December, Lynne
Libby encountered an art representative who arranged for her to exhibit
her work on Crystal Cruises' two ships, Serenity and Symphony.

"Now my paintings have gone on a year-long world cruise. I hope they're
having fun," says the seascape from Key Biscayne, Florida, who with her
spouse, the Rev. Bob Libby, were preparing for a trip of their own on
May 22 that will take them down Egypt's Nile River.

"It will mark 33 years of happy marriage and the 50th anniversary of my
ordination," said the priest, who, before his retirement about 10 years
ago, was rector at St. Christopher's Episcopal Church on Key Biscayne in
the Diocese of Southeast Florida.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_97130_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On May 19, 2008, the Church calendar Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury
(c909-988).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm
* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm
* Today in History: On May 19, 1662, England's King Charles II approved
a bill requiring all ministers to assent publicly to the Book of Common
Prayer.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Celebrating the Eucharist: A Practical Ceremonial Guide for Clergy and
Other Liturgical Ministers" from Church Publishing, Inc., by Patrick
Malloy, 218 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $25

[Church Publishing, Inc.] In this first new Eucharistic customary in
nearly 20 years, Patrick Malloy, an Episcopal priest and liturgical
scholar, presents a clear, illustrated guide for the presider and other
leaders of the liturgy, contemporary in approach but based on ancient
and classic principles of celebration. The 1979 Book of Common Prayer,
like its predecessors, is long on telling the Church what to say, and
short on telling it what to do. This leaves those who "choreograph"
Prayer Book liturgies with a complex task and a powerful influence over
the faith of the Church. The author begins with a concise theology of
the liturgy that underpins all of his specific directives in the book.
Contents include: Theological and liturgical principles; Liturgical
ministry and liturgical ministers; Liturgical space; Vesture, vessels,
and other liturgical objects; The liturgical year; The shape of the
liturgy; The sung liturgy and singing during the liturgy; The order of
the Eucharist (the "heart" of the book); and The celebration of Baptism
during the Eucharist.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm