From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Synod Bishop Calls for Immigration Reform

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 14:47:11 -0500

Title: ELCA Synod Bishop Calls for Immigration Reform
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>May 20, 2008

ELCA Synod Bishop Calls for Immigration Reform
08-068-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In response to the May 12 federal
immigration raid at a meat processing plant in Postville, Iowa,
the Rev. Steven L. Ullestad, bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) Northeastern Iowa Synod, said, "The
intervention by the U.S. government in my hometown of Postville
has instilled fear into the hearts of U.S. citizens."  Ullestad
spoke May 18 to more than 400 people gathered for an ecumenical
prayer service at Queen of Peace Parish (Roman Catholic),
Waterloo, in response to the raid.

Ullestad said the raid "has decimated an entire community."
Federal agents arrested about 390 workers at the plant, making
the raid the largest at a single location in U.S. history.

"We need immigration reform, so that no town in this country
will ever have to know the devastation that has been inflicted by
our own government upon the Postville community," said Ullestad.

"American businesses need workers, and immigrants need jobs.
We must have immigration reform so that businesses can prosper
legally, and immigrants may know the freedom and opportunity of
America legally," said Ullestad.  He also spoke about the
hundreds of children, who for 72 hours did not know the
whereabouts of their parents.  "Families have been divided and
traumatized," he said.

Ullestad estimates that it will take years for Postville to
recover.  "Businesses are dramatically impacted.  Teachers wonder
how many jobs will be lost for next year.  Landlords have lost
renters, bankers have lost clients, (and) grocery store owners
their customers.  People who have been active and responsible
members of their community have been lost."  But "by the grace of
God, the unity and hard work of the people of Postville and the
support of the whole church, Postville will recover."

 From the service some 200 people rallied in front of the
National Cattle Congress, Waterloo.  Although "closely monitored
by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and local
police, we had people who were at risk for arrest and people who
had been arrested, wearing ankle-bracelets, at the
demonstration," said the Rev. Steven P. Brackett, St. Paul
Lutheran Church, Postville.  Brackett said ICE had rented the
Cattle Congress facility "to process detainees."

"When immigration raids happen at different locations larger
than Postville, there are local resources.  What we're dealing
with in Postville is the largest raid at a single location in
U.S. history, and we do not have the resources to help meet the
needs of people," said Brackett.  With the help of volunteers,
"we are providing assistance that is so much needed," he said.

Family members of those arrested in the raid had taken
refuge at St. Bridget's (Roman Catholic) Parish, Postville, which
is serving as a central location to help serve the community.
Brackett said most people have left the church, either returning
home or staying at the home of someone else.  Some people are
still afraid to return home for fear of arrest, he said.

"It is important to note that the ICE raid has not just
affected immigrants," said Brackett.  "The community of Postville
has worked for over 15 years to embrace our new diversity.  And
almost overnight, all we have worked for has been destroyed," he
said.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog