From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: International Ministries Sends Relief Grant After China Earthquake

From "Jayne, Andy" <Andy.Jayne@abc-usa.org>
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 17:45:06 -0700

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 05/19/08) - American Baptist International
Ministries has sent a $5,000 grant to our partner, The Amity Foundation,
for immediate relief efforts, after one of the strongest earthquakes to
strike China in decades happened Monday, May 12, leaving thousands dead
and more missing.

According to news media reports, more than 15,000 people are estimated
to have died when the earthquake, which measured 7.9 in magnitude,
struck in Sichuan province, an area in Southwestern China. The province
is very near a border with Myanmar, which has been devastated recently
by a cyclone.

The grant was provided through the American Baptist World Relief Office
with One Great Hour of Sharing funds. Ben Chan, area director for East
Asia for International Ministries, said much more will be needed.

"We are very grateful for this initial response, which will support the
Amity Foundation, who is providing more than $140,000 in immediate aid,
such as clean water, food, medicine and shelter on the ground for those
affected," said Chan. "Amity is a trusted partner, with good
relationships with the churches and the government. They are playing a
crucial role in helping victims and will need our continued financial
support to be most effective."

American Baptists wishing to support ongoing China efforts can do so
through their church's monthly report of mission support, designating
contributions "OGHS-China Earthquake." For online contributions, go to
the give now option available at www.abc-oghs.org/give.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/