From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 212-United Methodists stand with arrested workers

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 16:53:19 -0500

NOTE: Photographs are available at http://umns.umc.org.

>A UMNS Report By Kathy L. Gilbert*

More than 300 "little lights" representing workers arrested in an
immigration raid in northeast Iowa were lit and then extinguished during
a "service of solidarity" held at First United Methodist Church in Sioux
City.

The May 15 vigil was one of a series of faith events across Iowa that
have drawn attention to the plight of immigrant workers and their
families in the wake of the largest single-site immigration raid in U.S.
history.

Iowa's United Methodist episcopal leader, Bishop Gregory V. Palmer,
responded by calling for an end to such raids and urging U.S. government
leaders to pass a comprehensive immigration policy that recognizes the
contributions of migrants to the U.S. economy and culture.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrested the
workers--most from Mexico and Guatemala--in a May 12 raid on
Agriprocessors, the world's largest kosher meatpacking plant, in
Postville, Iowa. The 314 men and 75 women taken into custody face
charges ranging from aggravated identity theft to false use of Social
Security numbers.

The Rev. Jim Perdue organized the May 15 vigil in Sioux City in which
candles represented the arrested workers.

"The service was moving and meaningful," said Perdue, pastor of Mission
Mateo 25, a Hispanic ministry of the United Methodist Northwest
District.

"We now carry those souls in our hearts along the journey of faith."

>Connected through Christ

Palmer's May 14 statement declares that all people--regardless of
nationality or legal status--are connected through Jesus Christ.

"Release those who have been detained today," Palmer said, "and work
with our elected officials to create a just and comprehensive
immigration policy, one that will fully incorporate the undocumented
among us into the life of this nation in ways that validate their
humanity and affirm the many ways in which they contribute and enrich
our culture here in Iowa, and our nation as a whole."

His statement was read during the Sioux City vigil attended by about 45
adults and 20 children.

"I believe that people of faith and all persons of good will should join
together to embody the new social order of God's transforming love,
power, and justice, which breaks the chains of fear, injustice, racism,
xenophobia, and violence," said Palmer, the newly elected president of
the denomination's Council of Bishops.

Perdue said the recent "frenzy of hatred" toward immigrants continues a
tradition of poor U.S. relations with Mexico and Central America, dating
to the early 20th century. He noted that the humanitarian response to
thousands of people affected by earthquakes in China this month is a
stark contrast to the anger and hatred being shown toward the 389
workers "whose lives and families have been shattered in Iowa."

"Hate is driving this, but it is not a question of law," he said. "It is
about the United States becoming brown," Perdue said.

>'Biblical mandate for hospitality'

United Methodists were among about 50 people who attended an earlier
vigil on May 14 in front of the federal building in Des Moines.

"It was very powerful for me to have them present and supporting the
Latino community," said the Rev. Barbara Dinnen, Las Americas Comunidad
de Fe, Trinity United Methodist Church.

"When I read the blogs on the Internet related to the newspaper articles
on the raid, I am torn apart by the racial tension and blind hate
against the Latinos that is clearly revealed in the blogs. Racism and
fear remain powerful sins. It is good to see those who support our new
neighbors and understand the Biblical mandate for hospitality."

The vigil was planned by Iowa Allies for Immigration Reform, a coalition
of churches and organizations that meets at Trinity United Methodist
Church.

The Postville raid and a December 2006 raid in Marshalltown have created
a sense of fear throughout the area, according to Dinnen. "The community
is afraid and they are staying home as much as possible," she said.

>Safe haven

Many Christian groups have joined together to help families affected by
the raid. St. Bridget's Catholic Church in Postville has served as a
safe haven for immigrants who fled, and St. Paul Lutheran Church has
provided shelter as well, according to news reports.

"The ICE raid in Postville is yet another example of the harsh
environment of fear that immigrants--documented and undocumented--now
face, especially since the collapse of comprehensive immigration reform
last summer," said Ralston H. Deffenbaugh, president of Lutheran
Immigration and Refugee Service, Baltimore. "Our immigration law is
badly broken and desperately needs reform."

Catholic Archbishop Jerome Hanus, Iowa, said the Postville raid
highlights the need for comprehensive immigration reform. "Families have
been disrupted; parents and children are filled with fear. Many are
uncertain whether their loved ones will be arrested, imprisoned
indefinitely or deported," he said.

The United Methodist Church supports U.S. immigration reform and, at its
recent General Conference meeting in Fort Worth, Texas, the church's top
legislative body adopted several resolutions on "welcoming the migrant."

"It is somewhat ironic that these raids took place in the days
immediately following the 2008 United Methodist Church's policy-making
General Conference, which adopted resolutions opposing all actions
against immigrants that divide families and denigrate human beings,"
said Bishop Felton May, interim top executive for the church's Board of
Global Ministries.

"I pray for widespread ecumenical response," May said. "I pray also that
United Methodists will rally to the needs of those in detention and,
especially, to the needs of children affected by the arrest and
deportation of their parents. As a denomination, we want to make good on
the claims of our resolutions to seek justice for migrants and to
welcome strangers."

*Gilbert is a news writer for United Methodist News Service in
Nashville, Tenn. Additional information for this report came from
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and from Christians for
Comprehensive Immigration Reform.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470
or newsdesk@umcom.org.