From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AJC] Jewish Group Hails Presbyterian Critique of Teachings on Israel

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Thu, 22 May 2008 09:04:44 -0400

AJC Hails Presbyterian Critique of Anti-Jewish Teaching on Israel

May 19, 2008 - New York - The American Jewish Committee praised the
Presbyterian Church (USA) for its strongly-worded condemnation of
anti-Semitism and anti-Jewish language in writings about Israel.

Vigilance against anti-Jewish Ideas and Bias, issued by the church's
Interfaith Relations Office, repudiates anti-Semitism in advocacy and
writings on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"This statement is tough, thorough and balanced - we warmly welcome it,"
said Rabbi Gary Greenebaum, AJC's U.S. director of Interreligious Affairs.
"No other Mainline Protestant denomination has yet taken such a critical
look at its own teachings and how Christian teaching can be horribly misused
to demonize Israel."

AJC sent a letter of thanks to the head of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
Stated Clerk Reverend Clifton Kirkpatrick.

In the document, the Presbyterian Church (USA) recognized that Christians
must be vigilant when couching the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in
theological terms. They note that the misuse of liberation theology as
regards the conflict can be "troubling in its demonization of Israel and the
Jewish people and its echoes of ancient Christian anti-Judaism."

"We are moved by the Presbyterian commitment to fighting anti-Semitism in
all of its manifestations," said Greenebaum. "It serves as a wonderful
tribute to the value of our ongoing dialogue and perfect way to celebrate
Israel's 60th anniversary."