From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA South Dakota Synod Builds Connections with Lutherans in Cameroon

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 14:04:59 -0500

Title: ELCA South Dakota Synod Builds Connections with Lutherans in Cameroon
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>May 27, 2008

ELCA South Dakota Synod Builds Connections with Lutherans in Cameroon
08-073-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The South Dakota Synod of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is planning to welcome a
professor of systematic theology from the Republic of Cameroon to
teach pastors and lay leaders in the synod about evangelism. The
Rev. Joseph Ngah, Lutheran Institute of Theology at Meiganga, is
expected to visit the synod in September, said the Rev. David B.
Zellmer, bishop of the ELCA South Dakota Synod, in the current
issue of the synod's newsletter.

Ngah's visit is the result of an experience earlier this
year in which Zellmer witnessed the dedication of the Millennium
Church in Ngaoundere, Cameroon. The church was one of three new
Lutheran church buildings in Ngaoundere dedicated in February.

The other new buildings were Bethel Lutheran Church and
University Lutheran Church, said James Noss, who with his wife
Karen serves as ELCA Global Mission staff in Cameroon.  The
Bethel construction project was funded by the Lutheran World
Federation, Lutheran churches in Norway and private donations,
Noss said. University's new building was funded by gifts from one
former Norwegian missionary, he said.  In both cases, 2,000 to
3,000 people attended the dedication and worship services.

"As we look back at these very special days, we cannot help
but think of the sacrifice, perseverance and dedication of all
who answered the call to be part of the Lord's ministry here in
Cameroon," James Noss said.

Zellmer and Susan Marone, associate in ministry and
associate to the bishop, attended the dedication at the
invitation of the Rev. Thomas Nyiwe, president, Evangelical
Lutheran Church of Cameroon (ELCC).  Nyiwe was present in Sioux
Falls, S.D., when Zellmer was installed as bishop in 2007.  The
synod and the ELCC share a "companion synod" relationship, in
which the churches support and pray for each other, share
resources, and exchange visits and personnel.

"We've had a lively exchange of people, and it's really been
a blessing I think for both," Zellmer said of the relationship
between the ELCA South Dakota Synod and ELCC.  "We're hoping to
continue that.  In one of the meetings I had with President
Nyiwe, I said that we would want their very best evangelist to
come over and do some work with our pastors and lay leaders." The
result is Ngah's planned visit.

The Millennium Church -- made of porous laterite rock, each
one hand-shaped, and with a roof line shaped like a flying bird,
Zellmer said -- has a seating capacity of 1,500 and was dedicated
Feb. 24.  As many as 12,000 were present for an "amazing" five-
hour worship service and dedication, he said. Also present for
the dedication were other Lutherans from North America and
Europe, including about 175 Norwegians who chartered a plane to
be there, Zellmer said.

The Millennium Church was funded through gifts from Our
Savior Lutheran Church, Menomonie, Wis., from churches in France
and Norway, and from local contributions. The new building
replaced a structure that seated about 300 people and was built
in the 1930s.

Part of the dedication service was a "thank-you" to James
and Karen Noss for their more than 30 years of service in
Cameroon, Zellmer said.  A representative of the government of
Cameroon presented medals to the two ELCA missionaries, and the
provincial governor praised them for their work, he said.  The
South Dakotans gave a cross as a gift to the church in honor of
the Nosses.

In addition the synod earmarked part of the proceeds from
the sale of property given to it as a gift to establish a
scholarship fund at Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., to honor
James and Karen Noss.  Luther is one of eight ELCA seminaries.

"We also took a portion of the proceeds to establish an
endowment for 'Train Up a Child' in Cameroon," Zellmer said.
Every year those funds will be sent to Cameroon to help children
attend school, he said, a project that he described as being "a
gift" for the South Dakota Synod.

"We definitely want to continue the exchange of people where
we have the opportunity to have people come from Cameroon to sit
down with folks from South Dakota and have conversation about how
we 'do' church," Zellmer said.

The synod and the ELCC have shared many other projects,
Zellmer said, including a long history in which the synod has
sent people to Cameroon to help put roofs on church buildings.

The new church buildings in Cameroon are an indication of
just how fast the ELCC is growing, Zellmer added.  Its total
membership is now more than 215,000, according to 2007 figures
from the Lutheran World Federation.

>---

Audio comments from Bishop David Zellmer are on the ELCA Web
site at:
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080514a.mp3
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080514b.mp3

Information about the ELCA South Dakota Synod is at
http://www.augie.edu/related/synod/ on the Web.

Information about the Evangelical Lutheran Church of
Cameroon is at
http://archive.ELCA.org/countrypackets/cameroon/church.html on
the ELCA Web site.

For information contact: