From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS - Archbishops call on UN for mediation and protection in Zimbabwe

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 12:25:53 -0700

Archbishops call on UN for mediation and protection in Zimbabwe

Posted On : May 29, 2008 4:06 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO
Related Categories: Lambeth

ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2008/5/29/ACNS4410

The Archbishop of Canterbury and the Archbishop Cape Town yesterday
spoke to Ban Ki-moon, the Secretary General of the United Nations, to
express their grave concern about the increasing violence of what
appears to be a sustained campaign against the Anglican Church in
Zimbabwe.

Joint statement on Zimbabwe by the Archbishop of Canterbury and the
Archbishop of Cape Town after speaking with UN Secretary General Ban Ki
Moon

"On May 18th there was a sharp escalation of violence when Sunday
services were disrupted and worshippers beaten or prevented from
attending church by security and police force attacks on churches across
Harare diocese. Harassment and intimidation is their daily bread; and
there is a continuing failure to enforce court orders permitting
Anglicans to worship in their Cathedral church in Harare and other
parishes.

This is a clear violation of Article 18 of the UN Charter on Human
Rights which expressly gives people the right to worship and freedom of
thought- quite apart from the other fundamental human rights, the right
to assemble and speak and take part in free and fair elections, which
are daily denied Zimbabweans. Given this political climate of fear, and
now the intimidation of our Anglican brothers and sisters, especially in
Harare, we are concerned to know what the UN security council and SADC
(Southern African Development Community) regional leaders are doing to
defend Mothers' Union meetings at churches and prevent people being torn
away from altar rails on the orders of ruling party or state officials.
We plead once more for immediate high level SADC and UN mediation and
monitoring to ensure a free and fair presidential run-off, and the
protection of its citizens from state-organised violence. This is not
simply a matter of vote rigging: the events of the last ten days have
sharpened everyone's concern, as we hear of murderous attacks on
legitimate political activists and now also brutality towards men, women
and children meeting for Christian worship. We urge increased
international pressure and effective mediation to prevent further
suffering.

In the meantime we assure not only our Anglican brothers and sisters but
all Zimbabweans of our love and prayers for them at this time. As fellow
Christians called by Jesus to be channels of His peace, with justice and
reconciliation, Anglicans around the world stand in solidarity with you.

'Be strong in the grace that is in Jesus Christ' (2 Tim 2:1)"

Ends