From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC - President Thomas Expresses Pastoral Concern for Obama, Trinity UCC

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 31 May 2008 18:51:32 -0700

Statement: Thomas expresses pastoral concern for Obama, Trinity UCC

Written by staff reports
May 31, 2008

Following Sen. Barack Obama's decision on May 31 to disaffiliate with Trinity UCC in Chicago, the Rev. John H. Thomas, UCC general minister and president, released the following statement:

"Obviously, we are saddened that Barack and Michelle Obama have decided to resign their membership at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. And we are hopeful that, as they discern their future church membership plans, that they will consider retaining their United Church of Christ membership in another UCC congregation.

We recognize that this has been a difficult, painful decision for the Obamas -- and a deeply personal one. It is also sad news for many members of the UCC, who grieve when any of our members chooses to leave our fellowship, especially under such public and painful circumstances. We are reaching out with pastoral concern for the Obama family, as well as for the Rev. Otis Moss III, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr, and for the members of Trinity UCC.

It's also important to name the painful reality that many candidates and public officials now find it nearly impossible to be an active member of a particular religious community, given our divisive political culture. Faith is rooted in community. Persons in public office should have the same opportunity, as the rest of us, to experience the worship, prayers and close personal friendships that congregational participation affords."