From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Lambeth bishops air differing views on covenant / Bishop Gene Robinson says he is at Canterbur

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:02:35 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>August 2, 2008

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Episcopal Life Online coverage of the Lambeth Conference is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/lambethconference.

A team of Blogging Bishops are contributing to The Lambeth Journal at
http://episcopalchurch.typepad.com/lambethjournal.

Spanish and Portuguese translations of Lambeth Conference Daily Accounts  and
Episcopal Life coverage are available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/89878_99166_ENG_HTM.htm.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Lambeth bishops air differing views on covenant
* TOP STORY - Lambeth Digest, Day 12
* TOP STORY - Bishop Gene Robinson says he is at Canterbury as a witness
* TOP STORY - Lambeth spouses: 'Here we are' to make a difference
* TOP STORY - Lambeth Conference Daily Account: Bishops Edward Little II  of
Northern Indiana, Mark Sisk of New York
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Hong Kong Primate Paul Kwong addresses media at
Lambeth News Conference
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Lousiana Bishop Charles Jenkins addresses media at
Lambeth News Conference
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Margaret Sentamu addresses media at Lambeth News
Conference
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Lambeth Conference Daily Account: Bishops Edward
Little II of Northern Indiana, Mark Sisk of New York
* DAYBOOK - August 3, 2008: Today in Prayer for Lambeth

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Lambeth bishops air differing views on covenant

Suggested suspension of same-sex blessings also contentious

>By Solange De Santis

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] Anglican bishops meeting at the  Lambeth
Conference on August 2 said there were passionate disagreements about
aspects of a developing covenant designed to hold together churches with
theological differences.

In addition, the bishops on the next-to-last day of the July 16-August 3
meeting clashed over proposals that would require churches to stop  entering
other provinces to minister to conservatives, blessing same-sex unions  and
consecrating partnered gay persons to the episcopate.

It was the second day of discussions about the so-called St. Andrew's  Draft
of the covenant, and the moratoria contained in the 2004 Windsor Report.  The
report, which was produced by an international committee, was drawn up  after
the Canadian and U.S. churches took several moves toward liberalizing
attitudes toward homosexuality, including the 2003 consecration of  openly
gay bishop Gene Robinson in New Hampshire.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99685_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Lambeth Digest, Day 12

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] Much happens each day at the  Lambeth
Conference. In addition to Episcopal Life Media's other coverage, here's
some of what else happened on August 2, the twelfth day of the  conference.

Lambeth Digest: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99686_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishop Gene Robinson says he is at Canterbury as a witness

>Know God, acknowledge gays, he asks

>By Solange De Santis

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] He might be the most prominent
uninvited guest at the 2008 Lambeth Conference, but Diocese of New  Hampshire
Bishop Gene Robinson's presence at the every-decade gathering was,
nonetheless, a compelling factor.

Robinson, whose long-term same-gender relationship is a source of
controversy in the Anglican world, said he was in Canterbury not to  protest
his exclusion from the decennial gathering of Anglican bishops. He was
there, rather, "to witness to the joy I know in my life because I know  God
and be a constant reminder to the conference that there are gay and  lesbian
people sitting in their pews in every country in every congregation  around
the world."

The meeting, which runs from July 16 to August 3, was in one sense  defined
by absence, as about 210 of the global Anglican Communion's 880 bishops
voluntarily stayed away, many to protest the U.S. and Canada's openly
liberal stance toward homosexuality.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99682_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Lambeth spouses: 'Here we are' to make a difference

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] They've spent weeks praying,  eating,
laughing, crying and singing together, sharing bible study, life  stories,
resources, networks, hopes and dreams -- all treasured keepsakes and
strength for the journey as spouses return home after the Lambeth  Conference
2008 ends Sunday, August 3.

For Benita Rumalshah of the Diocese of Peshawar in Pakistan,  relationships
developed at the conference cut both ways -- they help her to discover  more
about other Anglicans and "help to make our brothers and sisters aware  of
us. The Lambeth Conference gives us times of feeling the Body of Christ,  the
catholicity of our faith.

"We see all the different languages and people and nations coming  together
and worshipping. It makes us real. We profess it in our Nicene Creed but
don't see it everyday in our lives."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99681_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Lambeth Conference Daily Account: Bishops Edward Little II of Northern
Indiana, Mark Sisk of New York

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] Bishops Edward Little II of  Northern
Indiana and Mark Sisk of New York offer the following Daily Account for
August 2 at the 2008 Lambeth Conference.

Daily Account: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99675_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Multimedia files available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/89878_97371_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Video: Hong Kong Primate Paul Kwong addresses media at Lambeth News
Conference

[Episcopal News Service] The Most Rev. Paul Kwong, primate of the Hong  Kong
Sheng Kung Hui, speaks at the August 2 news conference at the 2008  Lambeth
Conference.

>- - - - -

Video: Lousiana Bishop Charles Jenkins addresses media at Lambeth News
Conference

[Episcopal News Service] The Rt. Rev. Charles Jenkins, bishop of  Louisiana,
speaks at the August 2 news conference at the 2008 Lambeth Conference.

>- - - - -

Video: Margaret Sentamu addresses media at Lambeth News Conference

[Episcopal News Service] Margaret Sentamu, co-convenor of the Spouses
Conference and wife of Archbishop of York John Sentamu, speaks at the  August
2 news conference at the 2008 Lambeth Conference.

>- - - - -

Video: Lambeth Conference Daily Account: Bishops Edward Little II of
Northern Indiana, Mark Sisk of New York

[Episcopal News Service] Bishops Edward Little II of Northern Indiana  and
Mark Sisk of New York offer the following Daily Account for August 2 at  the
2008 Lambeth Conference.

>- - - - -

Multimedia files available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/89878_97371_ENG_HTM.htm

>DAYBOOK

>On August 3, 2008...

* Today in Prayer for Lambeth: Bless all those who shared in and have  been
shaped by the meetings at Canterbury. Let their participation in the  Body
and Blood of Christ at the final Eucharist represent a fulfillment of  the
many conversations and a tangible sign of our unity in faith.