From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Norm Smith Elected President of Lutheran Men in Mission

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sun, 3 Aug 2008 00:02:29 -0500

Title: Norm Smith Elected President of Lutheran Men in Mission
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>August 2, 2008

Norm Smith Elected President of Lutheran Men in Mission
08-131-FI

OMAHA, Neb. (ELCA) -- Norman L. Smith, Leawood, Kan., was
elected Aug. 1 to a three-year term as president of Lutheran Men
in Mission (LMM), the men's ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA).  Delegates to LMM's Eighth Assembly
elected four officers and nine regional representatives to the
LMM board of directors to three-year terms.

LMM's assembly brought 101 delegates here from across the
ELCA to conduct the organization's business July 31-Aug. 1.
About 600 men are here Aug. 1-3 for the 2008 Lutheran Men's
Gathering at the Hilton Hotel and Qwest Center.  The event theme,
"Coming of Age," focuses on LMM's 20th anniversary, its new
relationship with the ELCA and its emphasis on the spirituality
of men ages 18-34.

Smith, 69, succeeded Heber Rast, Cameron, S.C., who
completed his second three-year term as LMM president and was
ineligible for re-election.  Smith is a parish ministry associate
of the ELCA Central States Synod, specializing in men's ministry
at Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Overland Park, Kan.

"It's an awesome responsibility," Smith said.  "We have so
many things going, so much we have to do.  We need the
leadership.  I hope and pray that I'm guided by the Holy Spirit
to make that happen with a wonderful team," he said.  "I have
great expectations for the next three years."

"We just put together a three-year plan, and I would like to
see that three-year plan come to fruition -- starting with
training leadership for all men in ministry, so that we have
leaders trained all throughout the United States," Smith said.
LMM's strategic plan would equip Lutheran men to be disciples and
mentors "so that they can be that changing, driving force in our
churches today and tomorrow."

Smith served the past three years as LMM vice president.  He
was elected president on the fifth ballot, receiving 57 votes to
38 votes for Richard White, South Riding, Va.  Joel L. Nevin was
also a candidate on the fourth ballot.  There were seven nominees
for president.

White was elected LMM vice president on the fourth ballot
for that office.  He received 66 votes to 27 for Nevin.  There
were 10 nominees for vice president.

Bernie Bresson, Louisville, Ohio, was re-elected LMM
secretary.  Harold Yost Sr., Concord, N.C., was elected LMM
treasurer.

Delegates from the nine regions elected representatives to
the LMM board of directors:
+ Rick Jacobson, Lyle, Minn.
+ Robert Sandoval, Albuquerque, N.M.
+ Daniel Joy, Jamaica, N.Y.
+ Tom Green, Louisville, Ohio
+ Fred Bohls, Camp Hill, Pa.
+ Tim Crout, Lexington, S.C.
+ Henry Howe, Corinth, Texas
+ Ron Sailer, Marysville, Wash.
+ Lon Buss, DeForest, Wis.
- - -

Information about Lutheran Men in Mission is at
http://www.ELCA.org/lmm on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news