From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Men in Mission Help Complete Habitat for Humanity Project

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:00:49 -0500

Title: Lutheran Men in Mission Help Complete Habitat for Humanity Project
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>August 4, 2008

Lutheran Men in Mission Help Complete Habitat for Humanity Project
08-132-LT*

OMAHA, Neb. (ELCA) -- At the 2008 Lutheran Men's Gathering
of Lutheran Men in Mission (LMM), the men's ministry of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), an Aug. 2 ceremony
marked the completion of a building project that LMM coordinated
with Habitat for Humanity of Omaha and Thrivent Financial for
Lutherans.

About 600 men were here Aug. 1-3 for the 2008 Lutheran Men's
Gathering at the Hilton Hotel and Qwest Center.  The event theme,
"Coming of Age," focused on LMM's 20th anniversary, its new
relationship with the ELCA and its emphasis on the spirituality
of men ages 18-34.

Volunteers began construction of the house April 25 and
completed it earlier this week, according to Les Robbins, who
helped organize the project.  "Through a lot of work by a lot of
fine people, we're here today to celebrate the completion of a
house," Robbins said.

Sponsorship of the house required $95,000, said Tracie
McPherson, director of faith relations and public relations,
Habitat for Humanity of Omaha.  She said that LMM participants
reached the amount quickly and "rolled up their sleeves and
worked through it."

"They did an amazing job," McPherson said.  "The house is
beautiful, and, the best part of all, an absolutely deserving
family is being given the opportunity to purchase the home.
That's when you know that God is in your plans."

Habitat project coordinator Larry Hinrichs, Omaha, presented
Leopoldo and Maria Guzman and their family with keys to their new
home.

Leopoldo Guzman expressed his gratitude to all the
volunteers who helped.  "I think God sent these people to build
my family's house and to make my family happy," he said.  "This
is a great gift that we receive today.  I see only good people
right here."

Thrivent Financial for Lutherans gave $65,000 in assistance
to the project, according to Dennis Engelbart, manager of
Lutheran community services, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans,
Omaha.  He said the project brought about 60 volunteers and that
the Guzman family additionally contributed more than 350 "sweat
equity" hours.
-- -- --

Information about LMM is at http://www.ELCA.org/lmm on the
Web.

*Luke Tatge is a senior journalism major at Augustana College,
Sioux Falls, S.D.  This summer he is an intern with the ELCA News
Service.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog