From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Lambeth bishops attend closing Eucharist / Archbishop of Canterbury seeks 'covenantal commitme

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:41:42 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>August 3, 2008

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Episcopal Life Online coverage of the Lambeth Conference is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/lambethconference.

A team of Blogging Bishops are contributing to The Lambeth Journal at
http://episcopalchurch.typepad.com/lambethjournal.

Spanish and Portuguese translations of Lambeth Conference Daily
Accounts and Episcopal Life coverage are available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/89878_99166_ENG_HTM.htm.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Lambeth bishops attend closing Eucharist; Martyred
Melanesian brothers honored in Canterbury Cathedral
* TOP STORY - Archbishop of Canterbury seeks 'covenantal commitment'
* TOP STORY - Bishops say Lambeth has equipped them for leadership in
mission
* TOP STORY - Presiding Bishop's statement at the conclusion of the
2008 Lambeth Conference
* TOP STORY - Archbishop of Canterbury's concluding presidential
address to the 2008 Lambeth Conference
* TOP STORY - Lambeth 'reflections document' released
* MULTIMEDIA - Bishops share perspectives about Lambeth, hopes for
communion's future
* MULTIMEDIA - Archbishop of Canterbury addresses media at final
Lambeth news conference
* MULTIMEDIA - Lambeth Conference Daily Account: Bishops Rob O'Neill
of Colorado, Michael Curry of North Carolina
* MULTIMEDIA - Bishops Keith Ackerman of Quincy, Hector Zavala of
Chile, Mark Lawrence of South Carolina address media
* DAYBOOK - August 4, 2008: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Lambeth bishops attend closing Eucharist; Martyred Melanesian brothers
honored in Canterbury Cathedral

>By Solange De Santis

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] Using the imagery of witness,
martyrdom and journeys, a two-hour Eucharist service at Canterbury
Cathedral on August 3 closed the decennial Lambeth Conference of
Anglican bishops.

"We are witnesses, says Peter, of what Jesus did," said Archbishop of
Canterbury Rowan Williams in his sermon. "We have a story to tell . In
the last two weeks, we have told our stories. We have also heard the
one story that makes a difference, that changes the world. Perhaps we
can go back to our lay and ordained apostolic ministries to tell the
story of this meeting, of the Lambeth Conference [and] speak
truthfully and joyfully the story of Jesus."

The story, he said, changed the apostles. "What they have seen has
opened up in them depths and capacities they never knew . This is a
story that makes things happen," he said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99702_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Canterbury seeks 'covenantal commitment'

Communion 'longs to stay together,' Williams says

>By Staff

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan
Williams, in his August 3 final presidential address to the Lambeth
Conference 2008, appealed to bishops to make a prophetic choice and
embrace a "covenantal commitment [with] . the potential to make us
more of a church."

Such a global church "understands its ministry and service and
sacraments as united and interdependent throughout the world. The
global horizon of the church matters because churches without this are
always in danger of slowly surrendering to the culture around them and
losing sight of their calling to challenge that culture," he said.

On the last afternoon of the every-decade gathering, bishops met in a
final plenary session where each received a copy of reflections
compiled from the conference indaba group discussions. Afterwards,
Williams met with reporters before officiating at the conference's
final event, a closing Eucharist at Canterbury Cathedral.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99699_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishops say Lambeth has equipped them for leadership in mission

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] As the 2008 Lambeth Conference
draws to a close August 3, did the every-decade gathering of bishops
from across the Anglican Communion deliver as promised; do bishops
feel better equipped for leadership in mission?

Days began and ended in worship. There was retreat time, 19 days of
meetings and two weeks of themed sessions. Bishops engaged topics such
as evangelism, social justice, the environment, interfaith and
ecumenical relations, Scripture and human sexuality. A papal envoy and
an American evangelist led evening plenary sessions. The Archbishop of
Canterbury Rowan Williams delivered presidential addresses. There were
also daily Bible study and indaba discussion groups, a joint session
with spouses on abuse of power and even a little social activism, with
a 'walk of witness' against poverty.

>From Angola to New York, Melanesia to Maryland, Colombia to the
Philippines, a diversity of bishops said the regular rhythm of Bible
study, prayer, and indaba discussion groups created community,
enriched their lives and broadened their ministries.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99694_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Presiding Bishop's statement at the conclusion of the 2008 Lambeth
Conference

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] Presiding Bishop Katharine
Jefferts Schori issued a statement August 3 at the conclusion of the
2008 Lambeth Conference.

Full statement: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99693_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Canterbury's concluding presidential address to the 2008
Lambeth Conference

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan
Williams delivered a presidential address August 3 during the
concluding plenary of the 2008 Lambeth Conference.

Full address: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99691_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Lambeth 'reflections document' released

[Episcopal News Service, Canterbury] The final text of a "reflections
document," developed by 16 "listeners" selected from the Indaba groups
at the 2008 Lambeth Conference, is available at
http://www.lambethconference.org/reflections/document.cfm. The
"listeners" formed a reflections group, chaired by Archbishop Roger
Herft of Perth, Australia, and in a series of hearings the group
presented its work and received feedback from the bishops.

The full document, notes of the reflections and a release from the
reflections group is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_99690_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Multimedia files available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/89878_97371_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishops share perspectives about Lambeth, hopes for communion's future

[Episcopal News Service] As the 2008 Lambeth Conference drew to a
close and bishops attending the every-decade gathering prepared to
return to their various dioceses and provinces around the world, some
of them offered perspectives about the three-week meeting in
Canterbury and shared hopes for the future of the Anglican Communion.

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Canterbury addresses media at final Lambeth news conference

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams
speaks at the August 3 final news conference at the 2008 Lambeth
Conference.

>- - - - -

Lambeth Conference Daily Account: Bishops Rob O'Neill of Colorado,
Michael Curry of North Carolina

[Episcopal News Service] Bishops Rob O'Neill of Colorado and Michael
Curry of North Carolina offer the following Daily Account for August
3, the final day of the 2008 Lambeth Conference.

>- - - - -

Bishops Keith Ackerman of Quincy, Hector Zavala of Chile, Mark
Lawrence of South Carolina address media

[Episcopal News Service] Conservative media organized an August 3
press conference with dissident bishops just before the final
reflections document at the 2008 Lambeth Conference was made public.
The bishops addressing the media include Keith Ackerman of Quincy,
Hector Zavala of Chile and Mark Lawrence of South Carolina.

>- - - - -

Multimedia files available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/89878_97371_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On August 4, 2008...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in Prayer for Lambeth: Keep safe the bishops, their spouses,
their advisors, and all those who have made the 2008 Lambeth
Conference a reality, as they return home to strive to be leaders in
God's mission and thus strengthen the Anglican Communion.

* Today in History: On August 4, 1980, Rustin Ray Kimsey was
consecrated fifth Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon.